• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Unkown Single Cylinder Motor Maker (motorcycle pre Harley?

jcaravalho

Registered
I found this in an old barn. It's not seized, it looks like its missing something but I'm not too familiar with it. Wondering if it's possibly even a marine engine. I'm not too familiar with it I do know it will turn over and has compression, beyond that, I don't know. I thought it was a de Dion Bouton replica, but I'm not sure as there weren't any casting imprints on it and nothing stamped that I could find.

Attachments

gustavus

Banned
Re: unkown motor maker single cylinder(motorcycle pre harley) ?

Looks like the magneto and flywheel are missing. Nice find.

jcaravalho

Registered

in the fourth picture is the magneto the thing in the center above the shaft :shrug: thinking that a wire connecting it to plug on top but like i said im not sure

gustavus

Banned

Give us a better picture of the carburetor, name and any patent numbers would help to identify your engine.

From where the fuel intake is located on the engine this must be a four stroke. If there a visible intake valve.

I don't see a flywheel.

jcaravalho

Registered
i will post a better picture when i get back to it in maine im flying in the 9th so will be next week this whole moving thing is a real pain

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I posted a reply on your other forum request. i think your engine is a Lindsay Air compressor engine. The cylinder and carb were made by Merkle of motorcycle fame. The flywheel would have been between the compressor and the engine. It was a steel disc about 1" thick and about 10" in diameter. These compressors were built around 1912 or so.

K-Tron

Registered
I have no idea what make or model your engine is, but I do not think your engine is a Merkel or anything Lindsay. The Merkel engines used on Lindsay compressors were overhead valve and had a completely different crankcase and cylinder than what your engine has. Your engine looks too small to have had enough power for even an early motorcycle, but it could be a motor wheel engine for a bicycle. The clam-shell/dry sump design looks very similar to the early Rudge engines, but what looks like a single push rod, atmospheric valve setup is throwing me off. Very unusual intriguing little engine. Hopefully someone can identify it.

Chris

gustavus

Banned
I have no idea what make or model your engine is, but I do not think your engine is a Merkel or anything Lindsay. The Merkel engines used on Lindsay compressors were overhead valve and had a completely different crankcase and cylinder than what your engine has. Your engine looks too small to have had enough power for even an early motorcycle, but it could be a motor wheel engine for a bicycle. The clam-shell/dry sump design looks very similar to the early Rudge engines, but what looks like a single push rod, atmospheric valve setup is throwing me off. Very unusual intriguing little engine. Hopefully someone can identify it.

Chris
The Merkel engine has the cylinder bolted to the crankcase using short bolts instead of the longer ones seen on the unidentified engine.

I hope the OP is able to find and post patent numbers.

Below is the Merkel.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
I posted a reply on your other forum request. i think your engine is a Lindsay Air compressor engine. The cylinder and carb were made by Merkle of motorcycle fame. The flywheel would have been between the compressor and the engine. It was a steel disc about 1" thick and about 10" in diameter. These compressors were built around 1912 or so.
I agree with the others that it’s not a Merkel engine from a Lindsay compressor. The Merkel Lindsay compressors were also not being built in 1912. They were built in the 1920s. I have factory documentation for one of my compressors dating it to 1929.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

The flywheels are inside the crankcase and this engine likely never had a magneto, but rather a simple timer for battery ignition.