• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Unusual Ensign Carburetor for....

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
A friend asked me if I knew anything about this Ensign carburetor :confused: . What engine/tractor it may fit (Moline), and how it is supposed to function. It sure is a complex one :crazy: with a spark plug :yikes: in the lower section and a glass jar on top of the air intake. Any one have any ideas :idea: about this new found item :shrug: . We're just trying to have some "FUN", even in NJ before the big snow storm :p .

Attachments

naylorbros

Registered
That whole set up is an Ensign Kerosene carburetor. How all of the extra stuff that Ensign added to their normal carburetor was to help with burning kerosene I have not idea. Guess I need to spend some time looking at patent applications. What that one would fit, I have no idea. I have wanted to add one to my Ensign collection.
Thanks
Ken

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Team,
hopefully this pdf scan of the Patents explains the carb.
Came up on here or ACMOC some time back and luckily I saved it after someone else did the search work.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Attachments

• 64.8 KB Views: 46

naylorbros

Registered
Cat was one of the users of this type of carb. but the reason that I did not say Cat is the flanges on it do not look like anything I have seen in Cat drawings.
Ken

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
After several inquiries, I think this carburetor could be an attempt at providing an economical replacement for the Moline Universal -D Holly gas carburetor to run them with a heavy fuel/gas mixture to save $. It's just my guess :shrug: . Maybe someone knows for sure, I sure don't :shrug: .

Kirk Taylor

Registered
After several inquiries, I think this carburetor could be an attempt at providing an economical replacement for the Moline Universal -D Holly gas carburetor to run them with a heavy fuel/gas mixture to save $. It's just my guess :shrug: . Maybe someone knows for sure, I sure don't :shrug: .
Regardless, it is a most interesting piece of ingenuity. It would be fun to play with...out of doors...where there is no chance of burning down the barn. Having to, essentially, set the carburetor on fire in order to start the engine is, well, something that might be difficult to get UL approval for.
Thanks for sharing!

Kirk

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019
Packard made a similar rig for their cars called a "fuelizer". If you search some of the old Dyke's books from the 20's..you'll see it depicted. I once restored the ignition coil for one of them many moons ago...