• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

UP steam to your area?

HalfKeck

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
Right now Union Pacific is having a poll online to route possible steam excursions. They have four routes selected to vote for after asking for everyone to submit towns first.

You can access the link here : http://upexcursion.com/

Now having said that, not to appear impartial or anything; everyone needs to vote for the Tuscola turn, it goes through the big city of Woodland IL (pop 300 or so) the "birthplace" of the halfkeck and also where Bakermaker cut his steam teeth too! Vote early, vote often! You can vote once a day until the poll ends.

Last edited:

HalfKeck

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
Wow, voting is going to be close. Little Rock was down over 3000 votes and has come from behind to get the lead briefly last night for a while, this morning the Tuscola turn has pulled back ahead with a very slim lead.

KG1584

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
All you steam guys from Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois better jump in

As Halfkeck said the Tuscola route is the best route!!

What a thrill to possibly ride through Woodland Illinois.

Besides being the hometown of the parents/grandparents of Halfkeck and myself, it does have a long history of railroading. It had a large coaling station on the north end town and the south end has a double junction to allow the trains that run on the double track mainline route for UP to go any direction

I am 40 but I still look out the window at grandmas house everytime I hear the whistle and watch the trains roll by as her house sits only a few yards from the tracks

HalfKeck

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
South of Watseka.

I have an old picture with the Daltons scale N and S, Coyles engine, Smiths engine, and Steinbrings third scale Case in Woodland, kind of a scale model get together.

BakerMaker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/27/2019
There is only one "Woodland" Illinois south of Watseka. The other "Woodland" is actually west of Kankakee and is the name of a school district.

Casemaker

Registered
There is only one "Woodland" Illinois south of Watseka. The other "Woodland" is actually west of Kankakee and is the name of a school district.
Dick,
not according to mapquest...one Woodland is east of Momence along the Indiana/Illinois line, I did a zoom to street level on it and it didnt show me anything...could be that mapquest is making towns up ?

The other one south of Watseka.... I did a zoom to street level and all I saw was coal piles and steam engines !

BakerMaker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/27/2019
I just went to mapquest and google maps and they both got it right. If you go to google street view, the initial view is right down the street I grew up on - Smith street. Swing a bit to the left and look in the windows in the shed and you should see our 20 hp DRG Keck patiently waiting for some TLC.

Dick

BakerMaker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/27/2019
Here is a pix we have of the Woodland steam up that HalfKeck referred to !!

L-R:
Ernie Steinbring and his Case
My Dad and his half scale freelance
Jim Coyle and his Half Keck
Carter Dalton and his Double N&S

Attachments

07Avery

Registered
I agree, the Tuscola Turn route looks like it will be the coolest route, but it is neck and neck with the Little Rock Express....

GO TUSCOLA!!

Remember, voting ends on Monday 1/17

Seafarer12

Registered
The others might have a little nicer scenery but the Baton Rouge Rambler would be the only one I could go on. Needless to say I backed an underdog.

Reeves1917

Registered
I've voted for the Tuscola Turn and I try to vote everyday. The Tuscola Turn route is not that far from my house. Just to see the big beast rumble through my area is rather exciting.

John