• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Various Rider-Ericsson (sale leads)

ironcross1914

Registered
Pump House Fresh 10” Ericsson Double Beam Engine - See Post #9.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that there is currently a 9” rider-Ericsson pumping engine for sale on eBay. The seller says it is original to their property (pretty cool) and from the pictures looks to be in pretty good condition. Looks like its been kept inside its whole life. They claim that they dont know if it works, however I did reach out and ask if the flywheel rotates freely and they responded that it does, so at least it isn't stuck. Anyway, just wanted to drop this here for anyone interested. I did inform the seller of the Enginads classifieds to help them score a sale in case ebay wasn't too fruitful for them (sometimes ya really gotta dig on there to find stuff like this). Hopefully this doesn't break any of our rules by posting this, just tryna help a nice engine go to a good home!

Cheers!

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Re: 9” Rider-Ericsson (sale lead)

tag reads 10" missing water pump and linkage in pics nice condition

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019

If it was closer I'd grab it.

Marv - So I see one pump towards the wall with a plug in it, did this have two pumps, one on each side? Could the missing linkage have been to the sucker rod down in the well which pumped the water up and into the open port?

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020

If it was closer I'd grab it.

Marv - So I see one pump towards the wall with a plug in it, did this have two pumps, one on each side?
Could the missing linkage have been to the sucker rod down in the well which pumped the water up and into the open port?
the pump by the wall is a shallow well pump
and the other side would have been for a deep well pipe top casting with a long rod to the bottom of the deep well.
i had an 8" with a similar setup. the deep side can be capped for shallow use

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the details. Hopefully the parts are still in the building, but they could be at the bottom of the well.

Last edited:

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019

So is anyone going to go get this thing? I'm tempted but it's just too far away.

Re: 9” Rider-Ericsson (sale lead) Sold

Have been told missing traditional walkingbeam and linkage, yoke arm , pump etc.

I know this engine from 20 years ago and am not quite sure that it is not correct in present form, I believe the deep well pump and spares are in the pumphouse .

Please let me know if you believe I purchased a parts engine.

I once owned a similar engine, with this configuration.

Regards Charles in Maine

www.techantiques.com

Attachments

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Re: 9” Rider-Ericsson (sale lead) Sold

congratulations, you purchased a one of a kind 10" double pump engine.
if the deep well parts and linkage are there, it is a complete engine.

Yesterday May 2nd we removed this 10” ca 1907 twin Beam Engine from its one family owned pump house on the coast of Maine we did find the deep well pump casting missing its top threaded packing gland and single dog bone brass link. The engine was only used a few times as evidenced by its like new condition with clean fire bricks and non pitted or warped shaker coal grates, Does anyone own a 10” with both shallow and deep well pumps.any scans of literature would be appreciated. It was passed down through the family that the engine was special ordered through a then local RE agent with both pumps. We placed 4” x 6” skids under it in the pump house, used rollers and a ramp to remove to daylight. We brought a 1974 restored Ford 3000 and trailer to facilitate loading and transport. Aside from having to roll the bucket to lift the weight , flattened front tires and having to make. 40 mile trip to nearest hardware store to buy 5” lag bolts for the temporary skids, it was a long hard successful. Just a touch of hand soap removes the blackened 108 year patina revealing original orange color paint. I am returning to the estate to search the cellar for the missing link and deep well casting parts and link. What is the weight of this engine? We are trying to obtain more provenance on this engine and will post our findings. If and when offered for sale it will be in the classified section of this site.

Attachments

Last edited: