• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Vaughan E Type Walk Behind Crawler

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
New member here. My name is Tony and I live near Portland Oregon. My neighbor gave me two crawlers before he passed away. Hi generous donation gave me this Walk Behind and this Cat type sit down crawler. I'm familiar with old engines like my 46 Ford 2N tractor. This Vaughan E type I have never seen. I searched for (Vaughan motor magneto) and found the posting by member bigGURN who has one just like this one. I have read his full posting and discovered much to know about this machine. I thought I would start a new posting instead of continuing on bigGURN's post. My neighbor told me that the magneto is not the one for this machine. I figured that when I tried to mate the two. Fortunately for me he kept it in a barn so it has compression and turns easily.
He was in a wheel chair for years so he couldn't do much. I want to try to get this E crawler to run and hopeful with help from here I hope to do so.
I'll worry about the levers and linkages after I get it to run. It appears to be missing some parts so I'm interested in buying any if someone is willing to sell.
The sit down crawler is probably up for sale as parts if anyone is interested. It's very difficult to move being so heavy.
Here are some pictures for a start.
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

K-Tron

Registered
That is a very nice find Tony! The dozer is built by Agricat and has a Wisconsin WD1-340, 350 or 430 engine. Wisconsin imported their diesel engines from Italy (Ducati) and Germany (Hatz). The particular engine on your Agricat is built by Ducati in Italy. Every Agricat I have ever seen has had a Briggs & Stratton or Wisconsin gasoline engine. We look forward to seeing your progress on these two very nice machines.

Chris

OrgWayne

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/22/2017
Tony , if you like to see some nice ones like yours , Brooks Oregon Steam show end of July , First of August have a few every year, there was one down here that sat for years 10+out side , old guy would not sell, BAMM just up and sold it one day ! , never know , good luck on yours :)
Wayne:wave:

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
Hey Wayne thanks I almost made it to Brooks this summer but grand kids birthdays
are more important. I will have to make it next year. I will keep posting on how the progress is going on this E machine. First I need a spark. More pictures soon.
Tony

ulgydog56

Registered
you,ll want to bone up on tracs,pins,sleeves,and lots of grease..lol...pay care to trac wheels and all trac related conponites,very cool machines,i have a cletrac hc-03,lots of work to make dependable but a lot of fun....

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
Question regarding implements. I got a hold of this attachment along with the E tractor. Can anyone tell me if this is what could have been part of the E tractor I have? It doesn't look like a unit from back in the 30's.
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
Tony,

Very nice finds there! The last item is a pull type disk, with what appears to be a pin type hitch, it could conceivably be towed by any garden tractor.

Your E appears to be a fine shape! The magneto can be adapted easily, just search ebay for a magneto impulse drive. You'll need the engine male side as well as the intermittent coupler.

In answer to your questions you sent me, use non-detergent 30w oil for the motor. The transmission should be lubricated with a 90w "mineral oil," same as an N series ford transmission with a bottle o fSTP oil treatment to thicken it up a little. Avoid modern multi viscosity oils as they have additives that can be harmful to the yellow metals in your transmission and engine. Feel free to message me anytime.

And the minions and I would happily provide a safe, comfortable home in Southern Idaho for that Agricat! :O

Last edited:

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
Thanks for the info regarding the oil bigGURN. I do have some of that I used on the Ford 2N.
Question on the fuel tank. I only see one tank and this unit has a radiator.All of the pictures I see show one tank. And is there a water pump built in the engine?
I have lots of questions.
I will hold the Agricat for you just let me know when you are getting ready to stop by.
I need to get it out of a tight space. This thing is heavy.
Tony

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
Tony,

We appreciate the Agricat. We'll look at transport and schedules and figure something out.

There are two tanks, a larger tank for water and a smaller for fuel, even with the radiator (which was an option on these tractors). Some had a water pump, also an accessory, most used simple thermacycling to circulate the water through the cooling system, which works quite well.

Always happy to help out on Vaughan tractors anytime I can!

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
Ahhh I see. It just looks like one tank. I just need to acquire a set.
Next week I will try to run the magneto I have witch is a Fairbanks Morse.
I'm working on a link between the magneto and the engine just like you did with your E type.
Good to know.
Tony:salute:

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
I'll look around and see what I have for tanks, they'll need work, but I should have something around here.

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
bigGURN , like you really need a Agricat !!:O
Hope you get it
Wayne:wave:
:O:brows:The minions have wanted an Agricat for quite some time. Now that the oldest has done a restoration all on his own, they are all eager for another project, especially a "minion sized" crawler. We are very appreciative of Tony's generosity with making the Agricat available!

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
So after two hours of trying to get the magneto to fire it works. The two small hole openings on the front allowed Mason Bees to get inside the spring pawl area.
I wasn't able to rotate the hub and the spring was not responding. After removing the hub I found lots of larva inside. When I cleaned and put back together, I couldn't get the spring assist to work at all. Finally I realized that the nut that holds the hub cannot be tight. The washer has a tab you bend over to keep the nut from being over tightened.
The original plug works too.
Question regarding stroke:
This Fairbanks magneto fires at every rotation. Not being familiar with this engine, I checked the to make sure and it's a 4 stroke.
Does that mean that the magneto fires on the exhaust stroke as well?
I don't see any harm in that but?:bonk:
Next step: mount the magneto.:):

Attachments

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
Depending on the gearing of the magneto drive, it may fire on the exhaust (sorry can't remember from my Vaughan's) though, if it does, it won't hurt a thing. Some engines do that, many antique engines do that, incidentally, even on modern engines it can be found (ford waste spark ignition systems come to mind).

on a side note, I found a set of tanks. The fuel tank needs some work, the water tanks looks pretty good, just missing the filler. I'll look and see what I can find, I may just have a couple. I'm tied up with a tractor show this weekend and work next week, but once I get into the shop, I'll lool and see what I can round up

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
It looks tired but I'll take anything you have. This one can be repaired. I have a friend that works with sheet metal. I don't expect things to be in excellent shape after so many years. I'll post up pictures of the levers to see if we can make sense of where and what they do. The levers were just laying on top of the machine when I got it. I believe things are missing.
Thanks again.
Tony

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
While I wait for the flanges to be made to marry the magneto to the engine, I thought I would post some pictures showing the levers and rods that need a home.
Picture #1 shows a lever that goes down to what appears to be a missing lever
that bolts up to where picture#2 shows me holding up the hook rod. This then links a lever that sits vertical on the right side of the gearbox.
Not sure what this one does.
Picture #3 shows me holding a lever that is probably the forward reverse lever picture #4.
The problem with this rod is that it's too long. Maybe it came off of a different year or model.
Picture #5 shows a tapped hole where I see on bigGURN's machine to be an self feeding oiler.
Thanks
Tony

Attachments