• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Vaughan E Type Walk Behind Crawler

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
Tony, From the description, it sounds like the impulse isn't working right. It should wind up and then snap. When it snaps, it should open the points and spark.

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
Yea it snaps early just before the points open. It's like the timing in the impulse is advanced. It's a tricky thing trying to get it to trigger when it should.
Also it looks like a weak spark. I'm going to try a new condenser.
Tony

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
It's the trouble shooting, trial and error that is so much fun in this hobby! The satisfaction of getting it all right and having a running engine once again is the ultimate reward!

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
I finally got around to braking down the magneto. I discovered the stator and rotor were gummed up with the tar material the winding's are insulated with. This kept the rotor from turning in a smooth pattern. Originally I thought it was the Mason Bee larva that was clogging up the spring housing. When I put it back together it works like it should. But the spark still seams week even after I used a different condenser from and old distributor I have laying around.
But, I then started to look at the compression. I noticed that not much was being pulled up from the carburetor. I opened the rocker cover on top and noticed the intake valve not returning. I believe then it's stuck open. I see that it's a double acting design of a sort. Same shaft drives the intake and exhaust valves. Never seen this before. What do you think big GURN? Can I free up the valve without tearing down the engine? I tried to pull it up and no budge.
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
Tony,

What a mess in there! If the insulation is melted out of the coil pack, that could be the source of the low spark situation as there may be an internal short inside the coil.

However, if you have consistent, albeit week spark, it should still be more than enough to get it to run. An intermittent spark situation is a big issue, but if its consistent, its usually adequate for these low compression engines.

The push rod and rocker drive just the intake valve. The exhaust valve is driven directly off the cam shaft. If you have a stuck valve' I'd just pull the intake valve cage/body and do a valve job (if you can get away with it, just clean everything up and relap them in). The cage can be removed by removing the two exterior nuts and on some (depending on where they fall during production) there may or may not be a bolt or two inside with the valve that need removed.

The exhaust valve, push rod, and cam followers are accessible under the side cover below the muffler.

When it comes time to reassemble, you can buy composite gasket material at Napa that works well to make a solid gasket that will not blow out.

Sorry I didn't get your parts in the mail last week. I picked up a box and was going to ship everything Friday, but I had something come up on Wednesday that has held me up for a few days, but I'll get them out this week, along with an oiler (a friend had one that'll work) and an extra 1/2" pipe spark plug for you to try.

Good luck!

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
The intake cage seals in the rocker box with a taper fit at the top and bottom of the cage. If it is stuck in the rust it can break the cage. Be careful when taking it apart.

Tonyswalkalong

Registered
I managed to remove the rocker box. I noticed the rocker was set to a very wide gap. It was moving but not making contact with the valve stem. After removing the side cover I can see the intake valve adjuster. The intake valve is not stuck but moving freely and the seat is in great shape. It didn't take me long to see that the push rod appears to be too short. The adjuster is all the way out to maximum and the rod is about 1/4" from the pocket of the adjuster.
This is with the valve closed and rocker making contact with the valve stem.
So it appears that the previous owner had a problem and replaced the push rod. Then gave up and let it go. I'm looking at finding a longer rod or extending this one. Pictures soon. Stay tuned.
Thanks
Tony

mowtavator

Registered
I'm looking for an original carburetor and air cleaner for my model E Flex Tread. It has compression but no spark, Barn find in AZIMG_0641.jpgIMG_0630.jpgIMG_0622.jpgIMG_0652.jpgIMG_0619.jpgIMG_0623.jpg

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
Nice looking tractor. Air cleaners are getting near impossible to locate. I have several extra carburetors. I'll send you a message.