• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Vertical Gardner Hit and Miss Engine/Air Compressor

11thread

Registered
Here is another engine I picked up this weekend, it is a bit of an oddball as it uses eccentrics to operate the inertia (?) governor and the exhaust valve. Also the governor holds the intake valve open rather than the exhaust valve. I have found next to no info on this style of engine on the net so I will post a few detailed photo's for future reference should anyone else find one.

By the way it's not as rough as it looks, mostly just surface rust.

Thanks
Andy

Attachments

BuckeyeMan

Registered
Also the governor holds the intake valve open rather than the exhaust valve.

Thanks
Andy
I don't think so, Something is ether missing or someone has added something. An engine holding the intake open would NEVER run right, and it would waist so much gas (blowing it back out) it would not be cost effective. Or just maybe that is why there are no more out there. lets see what other think ???. ...........DH

11thread

Registered
Thanks for the reply,

You may be right, I'm hoping someone out there has one running and can say for sure!

BuckeyeMan

Registered
That make a lot more sense only hitting when it needs fuel, instead of holding it open. Thanks for the Video. ...........DH

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Yeah, the video clears up alot. Thanks for sharing, nice engines.