Very Large Redwood Board 50" Wide, 2" Thick, 16' Long

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
I acquired this very large board a few days ago. A friend of mine had owned it for many years, before that it was at old local lumber yard. I have been told that it is Redwood. It is 50" wide, 2" thick and 16' long. It has not been glued together, it is one solid piece of wood. Has anyone ever seen anything like it?

Attachments

Ed Sparks

In Memory Of
Thats a very nice find Jon.
that would be a slab of old growth redwood that was probably milled 75 -100 years ago.
Very valuable to a custom furniture maker if it didn't have the big oil stain down one side.
We see slabs that width in some of the old wooden boatshops, up the coast, but they are teak or mahogany. usually no longer than 8-10 ft in length.

Power

Jon, See you got your oxy acetylene torch next to board. FYI you don't use a cutting torch on redwood. A sharp carbide tipped saw works quite well.:salute:

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
No oil stains, it was just raining a just little bit when I brought it home. I'm sure there will be no stain soon when it dries.

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
May be tough in Ohio to sell a nice Redwood table top. It would make a killer top for some executive meeting room or dining table for a well healed family. Maybe a picnic table for some special place.

Would have to be special, as I bet in California it would go big. One of those companies that has more $ then brains, like google, ebay, facebook, Tesla, you get the idea. I can just see them eating there jimmy johns delivery at a meeting on your $50,000 table top.
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I would let it go for a little less though :D

mschreiber

very nice!
i'd leave it like it is, i got a 36" wide piece of pine only 9' long. it was a floorbroad, came from daughters 110 year old new england house. i'd be interested in it even if it ain't redwood. get it looked at by a woodworker and tested. are there any knots?, tome it looks like doug fir. good luck.

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
I haven't seen any knots in it. I couldn't tell if it was redwood or not but that is what people have told me (I don't know much about wood). What is involved in testing it?

L

Lead Head

If that really is redwood, it's probably worth $1500-$2,500 to the right person. Possibly more. It's hard to tell in the pictures because of all the dirt and grime on it, but generally: the more "interesting" the grain, the more it's worth.

DustyBar

Subscriber
...What is involved in testing it?
Find a high school wood shop teacher. He could probably look at it and tell you. Many carpenters may not reliable be able to identify it since no one builds with this stuff. Redwood is fairly soft and a finger nail should easily dent it.

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
If that really is redwood, it's probably worth $1500-$2,500 to the right person. Possibly more. It's hard to tell in the pictures because of all the dirt and grime on it, but generally: the more "interesting" the grain, the more it's worth.
I think its worth at least that much. I think it does have a pretty neat grain, I just took those pictures really quick after I got it in the barn.

I think it is fairly soft.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
If it's Redwood, it should be fairly light too for its size.

It would (or Wood) make a heck of a table top.

At 16 feet long, it would be something for in a board-room (no pun intended... or maybe there was) or conference room.

Nice Find. Only problem with making something out of it is that then you no longer have it as it is, which is a prime example of what came off the huge sawmills from the turn of the last century.

To some serious woodworkers, it would almost be worth more for that than it would be as furniture.
A lot of them have a Prized Piece of lumber stashed away that they will never make anything with.

Power

Jon - just to give you an idea - this is not even close to what you have

http://www.buffalo-lumber.com/redwood-lumber.htm
YES - REDWOOD LUMBER EXISTS AND YOU CAN GET IT!

REDWOOD is rare and expensive but VALUE enhancing. People just love it. Redwood Lumber is a durable softwood - lighter and easy to work with compared to exotic Hardwoods - resistant to cupping and warping.

Redwood lumber, siding and decking are often specified by architects due to a reputation earned when they were milling 2000 year old trees. The thing about today's redwood is that it is primarily 2nd growth trees being milled. This means it is one of the most sustainably harvested woods on the planet but it also means redwood does not perform like it used to.
ALL Heart Redwood Decking

1200 SQFT Order Minimum
Air-Dried, S4S (surfaced four sides)
Eased Edge (beveled), 6-20' lengths

"Customer Select" ConHEART Grade

SIZE SQFT MIN PRICE SQFT LFT PRICE LFT COST
2x6" 1,200 $7.69 2,619 $3.53 $9,228
2x8" 1,200 $8.09 1,988 $4.89 $9,708

Redwood Lumber Con-Heart grade is a Construction-Common & Better grade, that offers the best performance and least waste at the lowest price. This seasoned redwood decking lumber is a "CUSTOMER SELECT" - NOT a downgrade. Every redwood board will be usable. There will be some knots you will work around.

"Mill Select" Knotty HEART STK Grade

2x6" 1,200 $8.69 2,619 $3.98 $10,428
2x8" 1,200 $9.09 1,988 $5.49 $10,908

Redwood Lumber Select-HEART is a mill select tight-knot all heart wood grade resistant to both insects and decay. It is high quality construction grade that should result in no waste.

"Near CLEAR" HEART B Grade

2x6" 1,200 $11.19 2,619 $5.13 $13,428
2x8" 1,200 $11.59 1,988 $7.00 $13,908

Our Heart B "near CLEAR" is an excellent grade for people who want a clear look but do mind a few a few small knots to save on the cost of CLEAR Redwood. The RIS Heart B grade description allows one or two small knots per board and has consistent runs of knot free boards.

An "All Heart" classification provides maximum performance in tough climates with minimal maintenance. There is NO performance difference between the three HEART Redwood Lumber grades priced above.

Calculate your SQFT to LFT coverage
Call for CLEAR, CLEAR VG and HEART Redwood Lumber & Decking Package

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
I'd say worth well over $2,000. Redwood may still be available, but nothing close to the size of this piece. First thing I would do would be to get some sealant on the end grain. Be a tragedy for the would to develope checks (cracks) after all this time. Just my opinion.
Doc

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Wood.... duh. Not "Would"

Ed Sparks

In Memory Of
No oil stains, it was just raining a just little bit when I brought it home. I'm sure there will be no stain soon when it dries.
Thats good it was only rain on it. That piece is incredibly unique due to the length as well as the 4' + width. I'd shop it too the custom furniture builder market. I'd value it well over 5k if it goes to that market.

At a recent sale here they found some old growth Mahogany 8/4 x 12" planks in a barn that had been stored there for over 100 years.
They brought over $80 / bd foot to a custom yacht builder. Going to be the solon trim work on a 20+ million $$$ yacht being built in Owlshead

xplor

It could be a surfboard blank, Long boards were the first and were made by hand. They sit low in the water and you can walk to the front and put your toes over the nose. Hang ten.

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
I'd hurry and sell it before the price drops! :shrug: :faint: :yikes:
:cool: I probably should... While mowing lawn I came up with the idea of inviting the local farm/auction paper to start a discussion about. Since it came from an old local lumber yard there must be some old timers around that knew about it years ago.