• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Victor Caloric Engine

Brian Triebner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Does anyone know if any of these hot air engines exist. This ad is out of an 1888 Carpentry and Building magazine. A lot of ads like in Scientific American. The only gas engines ads are Otto sliders. Sorry it wouldn't turn for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

stirlingmaier

Registered
Does anyone know if any of these hot air engines exist. This ad is out of an 1888 Carpentry and Building magazine. A lot of ads like in Scientific American. The only gas engines ads are Otto sliders. Sorry it wouldn't turn for me.
Hi, Brian,
it could be a Robinson hot-air engine. No, of course not one of these well-known Robinsons with horizontal power cylinder and vertical displacer, made by Gardner and others. Your engine could be one of these rare vertical one-cylinder models invented by Robinson and made by the Britannia Works, London, in the 1880s. Presented among others at the Engineering & Metal Trade Exhibition in July, 1883. More info? Send me an email.
Gerd

corlissbs

Registered
Yes, I have seen one of these engines and have photos and a video of it in operation. Brian, is ther any more to that ad than what you have shown? It is the only Victor ad that I have seen.

Brad Smith
Franklin, WI

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
This engine was patented in the UK and US by Arnold and Horace Robinson of Manchester England (US pat. no. 309,163 of 1884). The Robinsons assigned the US patent to the Victor Caloric Engine Co. of Jersey City, NJ. So the Victor was manufactured in the US (probably in NY or NJ) and the company was still in business as late as 1897.

Attachments

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I do have what is believed to be a "Victor" engine. It was pictured in GEM in 1974 and 1978. Thanks go out to Jon Rozevink, Brad Smith, and Brent Rowell for sharing the history that they knew about the engine to me.

According to the article that the late George Clark wrote in the 1974 GEM where he details where he retrieved the engine - "It comes out of a very large house located in Clinton, Connecticut. It was located in the cellar, directly over the original well, and pumped water into a 500 gallon copper-lined wooden tank situated in the attic on the fourth floor. I have an idea it is of English manufacture, but cannot prove it." I have contacted the historical society near Clinton to try to locate the residence in case it is still standing but have not gotten a response.

I recently replaced the leathers in the pump so I need to make a new video of it pumping. Here is a video of it from the first time I built a fire in it but not pumping water.

Here is a chart from an 1884 article titled "Gas and Caloric Engines" by Professor Fleeming Jenkin from the London Institution of Engineers. The measurements of my engine match that of the two manpower unit.

Victor - Robinson Patent - Manpower Chart.jpg

Last edited: