• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Villiers JDL help needed

Weeman

Registered
New to this site which from my looking around is a super source of all types of information.
I am a retired gentleman from Northern Ireland who has started to restore vintage mopeds as retirement projects.
I am at present having bother with a two stroke 1939 Villiers 98cc JDL powered James Autocycle.
I cannot get the points set due to eyesight and lack of space at the flywheel.
I have seen a Meca electronic ignition fitting similar to ones fitted to Allan scythes.
Can anyone e tell me if these units work with a Villiers JDL engine as I am led to believe I could do away with the points etc.
Any help will be gratefully received.

Weeman ( Ed)

Weeman

Registered
Thanks for your reply I have not seen these before but will send an email to the company to see if they work with my machine.

I have two pink Atom modules which I got for a 1964 Velosolex s3300 ( 49cc 2 stroke French Moped) but I could not get them to work ; I think the problem was the flywheel clearance .
I will give the atom a try and report back.

Thanks again

Ed aka Weeman

Weeman

Registered
Thanks Ed.
One of my other machines is a 1964 S3300 Velosolex a 49cc a 2 stroke French moped. Drive is by a stone roller under the front forks mounted engine which runs on the 19 inch front tyre.
Top speed 18- 20 mph with 200 MPG!
Stripped and totally rebuilt it is shown below with all parts in a bucket and then restored and with one of its grown up friends on a stop when out for a run ( not together).20180917_000308.jpg20200117_135222.jpg20200117_135256.jpg20190825_140507.jpg
The fuel can on the front forks is spare fuel as the tank only holds 1/3 gallon. This is how fuel was purchased (premixed) you left an empty tin and paid for a full one.

Thanks to all for the likes

Ed aka Weeman

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
I love that Bike!! The fuel can on the fork is awesome!! I also love the Wicker basket ...Nice! Thanks for sharing. Chris

Weeman

Registered
There are lots of differing designs for the tins with Solexine being the name BP gave to the premixed two stroke fuel for the Velosolex sold in garages in France.
Original screen printed tins fetch high prices (up to £150), modern tins with printed vinyl are easier to come by and safer to leave on machines.

Ed