• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Vintage Electric Hair Clippers

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
After looking through all of the forums, this is the closest I felt I could find to ask about these.

I want to buy a vintage set of electric clippers, but know nothing about which brands or models might have been better.

Generally, I like the ones I have seen that are made of polished aluminum castings, and employ the vibrating linear type of motor. A linear reluctance synchronous motor, if I had to guess what it might be called. Like in an aquarium air pump. Not a rotary motor driving an eccentric, like a hedge trimmer.

Are there any vintage barber shop equipment collectors here? Would that be called "Barberana" lol? :shrug:

Thanks,
Keith

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I bought an Oster. Works and sounds like the ones I remember from the barber shop. Has been a decade or so, so don't know if they are the same. Only complaint is I have to keep cutting head fully oiled because cutters are plain steel.
Doc

BobSaunders

Registered
I have a old Oster 76 clipper. The round cord has the rubber all cracking. Still being made today. I should replace the cord and maybe find it a new home.

OttoEngineMan

Registered
IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

!908 Koken Barbers Chair removed out of its original installation in Bettsville, Ohio. I am not into barbers things, however the condition and rarity of this chair made me have it...

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yes, Barbicide. I've always marveled at the bravery of barbers having that stuff right next to where they're working! :D :O

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
After cleaning be sure to oil it! if you dont, atmospheric humidity will rust the cutting assembly! if you dont plan to use it, some 3 N 1 electric motor oil will work - it wont oxidize and cause sticking. if you plan to use it, there is a special clipper oil.

NDmeterman

Registered
If looking for isopropyl alcohol, try and find the 99% stuff. Drug store rubbing alcohol is usually 70% or 90% (the remainder being water and other things).

Some fuel system de-icers are nothing more than 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
funny story i herd involving a barber chair, neighbours out the road have one in their farm shop. well one of the brothers cant handle his booz, they had installed a seatbelt unknown to said brother. he got out of hand one night and passed out in the barberchair. the older brother said belt him in so he wont fall out. when he came to i reckon is was one sight him trying to figure out just why in the hell he couldnt get out of the chair.:rotfl: I would have loved to been there to see that!:D