• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Vintage Thermostat

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I have a classic single pole thermostat that works as well as it should, but the little (and I do mean little!) glass thermometer on the front is broken. Wondering if anyone knows where I might find a replacement. Length of the glass thermometer is roughly 2-1/4".
Unit is a Minneapolis Honeywell. Quite old, I would imagine. I find it having an accordian bellows to move the sealed mercury switch interesting. Was working and in use when we bought our house, but wife wanted a new one. I took it to the basement and just recently came across it again. Please look at the pictures and see what you think.Thermostat 01.JPGThermostat 02.JPGThermostat 03.JPGThermostat 04.JPG

gootsch

Registered
We had one in the house that I grew up in over 60 years ago. It was not new then. Probably installed when the furnace was converted from coal to oil.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wow, the quality of that is stunning. Though it was probably more or less ordinary in it’s time. If I had one like that to use, the soulless plastic crap I have now would get removed instantly.

I don’t know what to suggest for the thermometer. That’s a narrow range. And sadly, finding a proper mercury one will be even harder. I guess start checking with industrial suppliers? The way everyone is foaming at the mouth to make everything electronic, it’s probably getting harder to find a good old simple reliable thermometer.

Keith

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Check around in junk drawers and antique shops for 1 of those old desk calenders that had a thermometer on it.I know our state farm agent used to give them out years ago.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
I have that same style on the furnace in my shop John. They used those at the Quonset/Davisville Navy base in all the remote boiler rooms. Before the tore them all down, I grabbed a few. I know I have a spare or two here somewhere. If you are in no hurry, I will try to locate them. The thermometer might be the same. I'd try Ebay too. When I am looking for something like that, I do a search on the item, and then when the search results come up, just to the right of it, you will see a small heart icon and the words "save this search" If you click on that, when one is listed, you will get an email notification. I have 4 or 5 saved searches on there right now for hard to find items.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
you may also find that thermometer on older face plates for light switches, I have seen a few over the years.

ulgydog56

Registered
the old Honeywell t,stats lasted forever..now junk.....and come with a manual the size of war and peace....

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
John: I checked out the old stats I had yesterday and they are a newer model than you have. On mine the thermometer is not removable by the 4 screws like yours. It is part of the entire front cover. Sorry I could not help you.