• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wade Drag Saw

Jonesey

Registered
Would anyone have a Wade Drag Saw Engine apart, I need the dimensions of the piston and rod as I’m missing both in our engine or does anyone have a spare that they are willing to sell.
Thks Les

i am sure you can measure the crank a tdc to the top of the cylinder, measure the head volume and work out a compression ratio that will work. Work backwards from compression ratio to design a piston then make a rod suitable for the piston pin height so it doesn't hit the rings, just below the bottom ring.

I have a uncle who has a drag saw complete but not sure on brand and likely won't be pulling it apart any time soon so its of no help to you.

Jonesey

Registered
Hi Alastair,
Unfortunately it’s a 2 stroke engine so things like the piston design with the flag and compression ratio are an unknown, so I require a sample or dimensions to get a copy made.
Thks Les

kidatheart

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/16/2019
I have been told that the Ford model A rings are the same, so maybe you might be able to modify one? .I just got my wade assembled, had to pour new babbit bearings, so that is something else to consider and another good reason to try working with a Ford piston, the babbit bearings are still available. Good luck

Jonesey

Registered
Thanks Kidatheart
The main problem is it’s a 2 Stoke and the piston with flag on top of the crown are important to scavenging the combustion gases with the fresh mixture. There were quite allot of Wade dragsaws imported into Australia so hopefully one will pop up.
Thks again Les