• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Walker Star Engine

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
We went out today to look at a Star 8hp, Ron liked it and it made the 900km round trip home, always a good day out with a load of old iron on the truck..........:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Combustor

Registered
Wow! Nice find. looks quite complete and original. Glad to see the essential Esky was not forgotten. Regards,
Combustor.

freshieslures

Registered
Hi Typak,
Another great find, you two sure get onto some nice engines. It's exciting to go on a road trip and bring home an engine like that. Have you any other information / history about the engine. Did it come of the original property, is it stuck? No doubt you'll jam a magi on it and have it running soon.
cheers Justin

Mick

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Gee they really got it wrong advertising it as a 6hp when it was actually an 8hp, there is quite a bit of size difference between a 6 and an 8 lol. Didnt take the roni diesel as well?

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hi Mick, we looked at the engine a few years ago but could not get a real close look as it was covered in blackberries and only looking through the fence, sorta thought it was larger but Rons not complaining!

---------- Post added at 04:46:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39:09 PM ----------

Hi Typak,
Another great find, you two sure get onto some nice engines. It's exciting to go on a road trip and bring home an engine like that. Have you any other information / history about the engine. Did it come of the original property, is it stuck? No doubt you'll jam a magi on it and have it running soon.
cheers Justin
Hi Justin,

Not stuck at all and the bore even looks OK, the owner could not remember where he got it but it has been sitting in the bull paddock for years that kept people away from it ! as we found out a few years ago when we first saw it !!

Last edited:

LizRon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hi Mick Yes had to take ronny diesel. Kim and I looked at these 2or3 yrs back at a distance as we could of walked through gate but the rather large bull was not having it and the farmer said he nearly got him week before, this is after we walked back.He was hoping for a bit of rodeo action we think. Have our original early pics of engines with bull in picture somewhere will post when i find The Ronny badged moffit virtue is on an original trolly turns over might give it ago tomorrow anyway diesels ain't my thing so will pass it on and saved a 1k on my offer back then and got another engine with it and it was an added bonus

Last edited:

Chester

Registered
VERY nice, one of my favourite engines, would love to have one in the shed,
Cheers,
Chester.

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hi Chester, certainly one of the most desirable engines ever produced in Aus !

Attachments

Last edited:

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hello Ian,

This one's on the to do list as there is really nothing wrong with it but minor issues, I believe the new tanks have already been ordered and Ron has a Star/Dixie magneto or two hanging around so should see it running a little down the track, would look good at Clarendon !

Last edited:

freshieslures

Registered
Hi Kim,
I've seen people cut the bottom off the main tank and slip it over a 44 gal drum over it if you want to keep the original look. One i've seen done was a perfect fit but not sure if there all the same diameter.
Justin

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hello Phil,

Haven't a pic handy but if my memory is correct ? should be a Dixie M or H ?, if set up for a Star it will have a trigger shaped trip arm around four inches in length ?

Michaely

Registered
Kim,

mine has a Dixie 700 - which looks similar to the M but has the striker built in as part of the mag. No idea if that was normal or common for these engines, but it does look like an original fitting to mine . The engine is #949.

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hi Micheal,

I have no idea, likely more than one type of mag set up on them ? as a side note there was also Lutz engines I think ? built prior that were related to the Star ? another nice engine........... pic of a original Star mag set up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Michaely

Registered
Kim that mag set up in your pic is what I'm used to seeing on a Star. The pic attached is the set up on mine - similar but different if that makes sense. BTW - I just need a dry day or two and mine's a goer.

Mike

Attachments

Phil Dowe

Registered
Hello Typak. I have two Dixie mags surplus to requirements. One is a rotary,and I am pretty sure that it is the same one as fits on a Fuller & Johnson pumper. I have one on my pumper. The other is a flick,and is on its mounting bracket,but I can not see any identification numbers on it other than the usual Dixie name and patent numbers. I am not up to speed to send a pic to this site,but can to a phone,from my iphone. The pic I see of the Dixie on your post,looks like a low tension!? Both the Dixies I have are high tension ,by the look of the lead/wire coming out of it !? But not completely sure as the lead is pretty short,on the flick. Regards Phil.

cobbadog

Registered
Hi Phil,
To be able to post images on these sites the pictures must be "compressed" to suit the site. I have no idea if that can be done on a phone or not. May need a separate program to do that, one of them APP thingies.