• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Want to Paint an Engine Natural Colour

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Re: want to paint a engine natural colour

Linseed oil/thinner is a coating a lot of fellas like. Me too.
There is paint that looks like fresh/clean cast iron. Looks good to me too.
Never tried either tho so... a grain of salt.
:)

Winchester

Registered

Shane... Is it Penetrol that gives a nice finish and protects? It may have been what Uncle Herb used but I think his time was before the product.

yes thanks winchester i will try penetrol if i can purchase it up as you are i aware we are living at pannawonica so karatha is our only shops
hope all is going well hope to be home in november for a show maybe so i have gotone up here we willbe at brookton next year already booked.

Clement Rook Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2019

ronald ,its not paint .but automatic transmission works well.brush on liberally,let it set a bit and wipe off the excess.

RustyNumbat

Registered

yes thanks winchester i will try penetrol if i can purchase it up as you are i aware we are living at pannawonica so karatha is our only shops
hope all is going well hope to be home in november for a show maybe so i have gotone up here we willbe at brookton next year already booked.

Good old panna ey? Never lived there but stayed there for work a few times, nice little town.

+1 for flood penetrol, that stuff is magic.

Benno

Registered
G'day Shane, penetrol is great but if you don't have any just use any mineral engine oil or grease. I have found that over time some synthetic oils can eat away and lift the old paint away from the iron. Dust tends to stick more but it will never rust and preserve the original patina.Been doing this for years on vintage motorcyles and cast iron.
The biggest killer is mother nature. Even with all the lead and heavy metals in the old paints will succumb to her & always remember to keep your engines undercover and away from sunny windows if you dont want any further fading:D

Benno

Registered

Great looking engine there...tell me, is that a very early Lister L? Cheers.

Scotty 2

Registered

Great looking engine there...tell me, is that a very early Lister L? Cheers.
Southern Cross P type. It's just laying on it's side. After personally seeing this engine I can honestly say....Yep. Great looking engine. Great bloke too.

Cheers Scott