• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Want to scrap my upright

Russell M

Registered
Well, not really. But I sure feel like it right now. It won't start no matter what I do. I have the usual E carb, and I have the needle out about 1/8 turn, I have the air cap about 1/2 open.
It's getting fuel because the piston is a bit damp. I have the spark set at about 1/4 inch BTDC. I have a full charge on the battery. I know that the deflooder is working because I checked it. My only thought is that maybe the coil isn't putting out enough juice. I have a blueish spark, but it's not the blue-white spark I see on my other engines. Wondering if the coil is off a bit.

I did notice some air getting into the fuel tank whole I turn it over, so now I'm wondering if there is a leak somewhere that I can't find.

Please help! I don't want to be tempted to commit motorcide.

On another note, my 82 has decided to only run for about 10 seconds or so before it decided to quit. I'm really starting to hate these E-carbs.

Tom S

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/08/2019
I often wonder how Maytag ever made them run at the factory. Also how did those earlier engines stay running long enough for Maytag to keep their reputation let alone long enough for them to wear out?

Good luck to you! They can be very frustrating to operate sometimes! :bonk: :crazy: :wave:

Russell M

Registered
Well, I got it to pop twice so far, but that's it. I'm suspecting that the coil is not quite hot enough. The spark is not as bright at my 82 or 92 mags and the battery is at full charge. I should have a rebuilt coil to try later this week.