• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Wanted: McDonald ML

Darryl

Registered
Hi all, been trying to get a big ML for 20 years now and thought I finally got one the other day but no, it wasn’t to be !
so , in desperation I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know of one I could buy ? Cheers Darryl.

cobbadog

Registered
Non around this house but a mate of mine also had been looking for years and majically one turned up not too far from his front gate, all in working order as well. Will keep an eye out for you.

Scotty 2

Registered
Mate, I thought I had a video of that engine but I can't find it. The ground shook and you virtually could feel each time it fired punch you in your belly.
That particular engine lives in Stanthorpe.

Darryl

Registered
There was one still used in a saw mill at Picola ,Vic that Parks Victoria closed down and pulled down the old mill which was very historical and had seen 3 generations, but they recon half a dozen trees would look better on site.
That engine is still in the area at Nathalia on a display trailer.
I know his ( ex) son in-law who worked at that mill and his workshop/ open shed has 6 or 7 worn out liners and pistons scattered around as a testament to the work done by it.

Last edited:

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
There used to be one on Kangaroo Lake, near the Mystic Park turn off, up until about 20-25 years ago. The last I heard there was a collector in North Vic. got it. I think they were 70HP?

Darryl

Registered
Had a few good leads so far and found a TL and a YD which I may end up with or may not but the point is I am very grateful to the ones on the lookout for me. Thank you

isandian

Registered
Sounds like my engine has quite a bit of main bearing noise. I cannot give it much throttle as it will leap about. The frame has the centres of I-beams in the for-and-aft direction and this allows too much movement and I worry about breaking the crankshaft. It would be better with the clutch and pulley removed.
Ian

Darryl

Registered
hi Ian, It would be better if it was at my place I recon !
i rang you about another matter the other day, did you get the message. Wondering about the AA ( not the AA meeting)

Famous Fitter

Registered
Hi All,

Has anyone got an idea of the weight of an ML with clutch? I have found one on a river bank and if i can purchase it i will need to be well armed with tackle to pull the big bastard out of its hole and get it home.

The engine looks mostly complete and has been under fresh water a few times but I'm hoping its not too bad inside.

I did hear whispers of another "wreck" laying about in the same area, if i come up with anything interesting ill let you know Darryl

There is one in a Sawmill nearby. I have never seen it but was told it was an 70 hp ML , people have tried to get it over the years and they wont part with it, the owners are a bit fond of it apparently.

Cheers Justin

isandian

Registered
Weight is about 3 tons. I would recommend unbolting the clutch assembly from the flywheel, as it would be easy to damage the crankshaft with the unsupported weight. Might not be the easiest job, but worth the trouble.

kwfiggatt

Registered
There was one still used in a saw mill at Picola ,Vic that Parks Victoria closed down and pulled down the old mill which was very historical and had seen 3 generations, but they recon half a dozen trees would look better on site.
That engine is still in the area at Nathalia on a display trailer.
I know his ( ex) son in-law who worked at that mill and his workshop/ open shed has 6 or 7 worn out liners and pistons scattered around as a testament to the work done by it.
What an awesome engine! I like the fireplug styling - nothing light weight looking about it. Now I want one... :)

ganges6

Registered
Hi All,

Has anyone got an idea of the weight of an ML with clutch? I have found one on a river bank and if i can purchase it i will need to be well armed with tackle to pull the big bastard out of its hole and get it home.

The engine looks mostly complete and has been under fresh water a few times but I'm hoping its not too bad inside.

I did hear whispers of another "wreck" laying about in the same area, if i come up with anything interesting ill let you know Darryl

There is one in a Sawmill nearby. I have never seen it but was told it was an 70 hp ML , people have tried to get it over the years and they wont part with it, the owners are a bit fond of it apparently.

Cheers Justin
Hi yes remove the clutch assembly and remove the fly wheel as well you may bend the crank shaft if you leave it on. If the motor has been under water your going to have your work cut out as the mane Bering's are roller Bering's and they will be rusted solid. Theirs one at cobden at the mill hope to get it going again one day soon.

isandian

Registered
My estimate is 3 1/2 tons with clutch and flywheel. At least remove the clutch assembly before attempting a lift, and if possible the flywheel also, which is held on with bolts. It may approach 1 ton, so needs substantial lifting gear just for the flywheel. If you don't remove the flywheel, you need to carefully supervise the lifting, as you do not want to bend the crankshaft. It is a very awkward lift with the flywheel on. I have done it, but I made sure not to leave it up to the crane operator as to how to sling it.
It is good to see renewed interest in these engines!
Ian