• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Washerette - water powered washer

Bob Barrett

Registered
Hi All! :wave:
One of my favorite collections are water motors and water powered devices. I just added a new washing machine to the group, and thought that some of you might enjoy seeing it. This is a small one that is made to use in the kitchen sink, called the "Washerette". It only weighs 6 lbs., which makes it great to display compared to the full sized ones. It came complete with all connections and paperwork in the original wooden crate! I'm real happy with it. These little ones don't show up every day, and I wanted to share some photos with you.
Enjoy!
Bob

Attachments

GarysToys

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2018
I saw one at a show that looked something like yours but bigger. They said it was a millers washing machine. It was a barrel made of open slats of wood like yours but had paddles around the outside. The shafts on the ends were supported by the sides of the flume. As the water flowed down the flume it turned the machine. The clothes inside would splash around inside and get washed and the mill kept kept grinding flour.

Bob Barrett

Registered
Thanks for the response to my photos guys. :wave:

GarysToys - The mill washer is sure a new one on me, but I can picture it from your description and it probably worked well. Those old timers were real inventive when it came to getting the most out of available power!

lgthunter - I'll post a few more photos of water powered stuff on the "Farm + Industrial Antiques" main page. They probably should be there since this is the washing machine sub-category. If there's any interest I can get out the camera and add more there again in the future.

Finally, here are a couple more pictures of another "mini" water powered washer that would fit in the kitchen sink. This one is called "The Baby Grand". It has an inner rocker tub like the "Washerette" but this one is metal, and it has a single cylinder motor. Both machines are circa 1920.

Enjoy! Bob :)

Attachments