• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Wassamatta!

KeithW

Registered
Re: Wassamatta

OK, here is a post. Been thinking about selling my 7 1/2 x 10 Ajax including trailer it lives on. Totally restored a few years ago with 15 kw generator head. Will make about 10 kw 110/220. Runs on propane. Any interest in these things? I would hate to have to give it away.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019

I was thinking the same thing Bill. I have six or so topics I check every morning and O.F.E.S. has been kind of quiet lately. Thanks Keith and con-rad.

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020

I'll be anxious to see the 30 Bess Connor. My 40 sits idle until I come up with an easy way to start it! Bill Klein

con-rad

Registered

You don't have compressed air? that's how this one and an identical one that i know of start. mine, while missing the actual valve, has a cam for timed air injection starting. do you have a pic of your 40hp?

dkamp

eMail NOT Working

Keith- was your Ajax factory built with the generator head integrated, or was it added later? slow turning 10KW on propane shouldn't be difficult to find an interested buyer... there's plenty of people who live in remote circumstances where long-term backup capacity for utility power is a must... and probably a fair few who are off-grid such that a hand-startable thumper in an outbuilding would be the perfect thing for charging batteries and carrying daily working loads...

KeithW

Registered

The generator head is a 15kw ST head that I belted to it. The basic Chinese generator head that provides power to about half the remote villages in the third world no doubt. The generator turns at 1800 rpm when the Ajax is running at 350 rpm. This engine is rated at 450 rpm but this trailer starts leaving the ground much above 350 rpm. The entire unit weighs 7000 lbs, the max the trailer is tagged and rated for. I have hand started it but prefer the 12 volt electric starter I made for it.

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020

You don't have compressed air? that's how this one and an identical one that i know of start. mine, while missing the actual valve, has a cam for timed air injection starting. do you have a pic of your 40hp?
It also has the timed air control but I haven't taken time to put together a tank/compressor system. Bill Klein

Attachments

Leonard Fausset

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Sorry. I've been napping. Here is a link to my show engine for the last two summers. 10 hp Marion. Maybe built circa 1921. It stays on this trailer. I have a frame and tarp to cover it. It's winterized for 2018-2019 winter season. I sure hope everyone has winterized their engines.

https://youtu.be/kW-VmRdyGuY

Leonard

con-rad

Registered
Went to pick up my 25hp Superior today, and found 2 bulging tires on my trailer. I guess i'm not going today! Hopefully next week.

connor