• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Water Pump Jack Question

Jack Dolde

Registered
I have recently aquired a set of castings for a model Pump Jack that I just finished but I would like to have a display of it actually pumping water.
I would like to have it operate from power provided by my Red Wing Hit and Miss model engine.
I have searched for photos or plans & ideas of how to build the base that will actually hold water that I can pump from and have it fall into a small washtub of somesort and then drain back into the tank and repeat the process.
Does anyone have any ideas or pictures that I could get some insperation from?

Thanks
Jack

Attachments

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Jack, i used to display quite a few warer pumps and water mptors, back in the day. i used either one of those round galvanized wash tubs (about 2 feet in diameter and a foot deep), or a small feed water tub. The pumps would pump from the tub to a shower head or thru the water motors, and drain back to the tub. Most of the pumps were belt drive, but 2 wer steam recipricating pumps driven off an air compressor. The pumps ranged from a smallFfairbanks-Morse, a Demming model 1890, a Goulds steam pump with 3x3 bore and stroke, and a Kewanee Water Supply 4x4 water pump. The steam and Kewanee Water Supply pump had 11/2" diameter discharge pipes and pumped a lot of water. On most of my pumps, i mounted a water meter, so the fair goers could see how much water i pumped in a day. The water supply pump was the biggest hit, as it caused the meter to spin like mad - up to 500 gallons an hour if i tweaked the throttle on the little B&S 5-S!

If anyone is interested in a water meter for their pump, send me a PM.

Jack Dolde

Registered
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the reply

I found this little galvanised tub at Hobby Lobby, I think its about the right size for this model pump.
I will put a drain in the bottom going to a another tank under the base so that I can pump from the lower tank and let it flow into this upper tub.

Jack

Bob N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/18/2019
Jack

Nice job on the pump. I have several pumps and they all basically use the Drawing from Joe T. Just scale to your pump. To prevent lots of splashing out put a small piece of foam in the bottom.

BTW - I have been looking for castings like your pump, where did you acquire them?

Thanks

bob

Jack Dolde

Registered
Hi Bob

I purchased these pump castings at a local engine display several months ago and I really didn't get his name and probably won't see him again. They appear to be very old, based on the letter and drawings that came with the castings that were dated 1984.

By the way the drawing were terrible, with a lot of the deminsions missing or very hard to read.

Jack

TobyTetzy

Registered
Hello,

I've drawn two slightly different pumps in 3D CAD for some time. Unfortunately, I have not found any castings of pumps.
First, I printed the pumps 3D to see what it looks like.
I have already started some parts of the pumps in steel, soon the rest follows.

Greeting Toby

Attachments

Jack Dolde

Registered
I did a little more work on my Pump Jack

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fLe5tnJbhNI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jack Dolde

Registered
You should be able to see it here at Youtube

https://youtu.be/fLe5tnJbhNI

Maybe this will work better. If your asking about the pulley that is laying on the bench, thats the flywheel pulley that I removed from the gas engine when I put the small pu;;ey on the motor.

Thanks

Jack