• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Waterloo Boy 4 1/2

rapidrex

Registered
This one has been here like forever. The storage the last 40-50 years has been in a shead. It is very rusty and piston is stuck, also missing parts. Belive parts are hard to find? Would very much like to see it running, but that would not happen tomorrow.... Serialnumber on this one is 150890, means it is made in 1918?? The year Deere took over Waterloo?

I heard from the old people here that it was used to process grain. I did a 4 man job then.

Attachments

M&WJOE

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
This looks like a fairly easy restoration. It has most of its` original paint. You have the original gas tank and maybe even the skid it is mounted on. I don`t think I have ever seen a heat exchanger on one of these engines. I must have been designed for a colder climate and used with kerosese or a light oil. First thing to do is try to get a solvent in the cylinder to get the piston soaking. Don`t try to turn anything or break anything free. Soak it first. This looks like a good engine to restore without doing any painting or changing anything. just clean it up and free it up. Good luck and keep us posted. There are several vendors here on Stak that have parts for these Waterloo engines. M&WJoe

Engine Whisperer

Defective Email Address
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2016
I can't see the pictures worth a hoot anymore unless they are real big! The invisible to me heat exchanger is pretty uncommon on a Waterloo, just guessing it was a cheap fuel model? I think your engine may have been made just prior to Waterloo's good name being fouled by JD. :rant: Nice engine.

rapidrex

Registered
Thanks for reply, Ill post some bigger picks. I made a good "soakmix" so I will let it sit for a few days before Ill try to break it free.
I am looking for a manual/parts list for it, so I can see what parts I am missing.
I found the pushrod today, and most of the guvernor, so there is some progress.

Attachments

Engine Whisperer

Defective Email Address
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2016
That's pretty cool, looks like you have all the hard-to-find parts, shouldn't be a problem completing it. :wave: Nice two-needle Lunkenhiemer!

M&WJOE

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
It is definately a Kerosene model. It has the gas tank on the side. This is used to warm it up with gasoline before switching to Kero or light oils. It also has the water line and valve from the water hopper to add water into the intake so to stop preignition when using kerosene. I would love to find one of these here in the States. I have many Waterloo engines, but nothing like this. Good Luck with it. M&WJoe

Chris Wheeler

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
If you take apart the preheater attachment, can you please post or send me pictures? Those are VERY rare over here in the USA. I have been looking for one for years now. I may end up making one. Thanks!

rapidrex

Registered
Ill do when i get back home, sunday i guess.
Do you know what threads they used on those exhaustpipes? NPT?

---------- Post added at 11:00:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53:50 AM ----------

When i stored it, it had a soakmix up to the ignitor opening. Now the engine is tilted with a soakmix all over the piston. The exhaust valve was stuck open, got both valves free, can feel som sideways play on them, maybe they need som machine work
Probably need new valvesprings as well

rapidrex

Registered
Chris
Here is som picks of the heatexchanger, the exhaust goes straight through. The exhaust pipe goes up one size thruogh the excahanger, inside this little "door" I measure the room between exhaust pipe and "exchanger" pipe approx 1/4 inch.

Attachments

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi Rapidrex,
Nice engine-funny it turning up over there and with the rare preheater+ such nice original paint!. I have a waterloo contract the same size so i'm sure you will be happy with your engine when you get it running as they run nice/slow. A couple tips; Keep the original skid/parts to stay with the engine for the future and watch out lifting the flywheels/engine anyway that can put side pressure on them as they can be damaged easily!.
Good luck, Nathan.

rapidrex

Registered
Thanks Nathan
Do you know where i can find/buy parts catalouge for my engine?
I am missing most of the gouvernor assy, have the weights but the rest is missing.
I am not going to paint it, will keep the old patina.
Ser your point of liftilg, that is rearranged now.
It is still a few challanges to overcome, but my goal is to have it running before it gets 100 years, and that is next year
I will keep the skidmount like it was, but need new tanks, that wil be when everything else is ok👍

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi Rapidrex,
Check the sponsors as I think Starbolt or Hit&miss should have a manual that also show some parts(also see it on Ebay.com often too)
https://www.enginads.com/bizcards.shtml
Pity the gov. is missing that could be hard to find, are the weights in good shape?-some can be badly worn!. I will be making most of the parts you need to get a couple of my engines going so I maybe able make some extra parts for your engine, will send you an email.
Nathan.