• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Waterloos Are Wunderbar!

Farmall_Doctor

Registered
G.W. In this spec sheet, is the first model a 16, or an 18? Do you have the specs for the 18 and smaller models? I always thought the 14 would be a nice engine to travel with! A friend of mine just bought what he believes to be an 18, but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

Attachments

David Hoover

Subscriber
Here’s some specs for them, there’s a rough one out here that needed identifying...Here’s the Waterloo specs for 18hp and 16 ...The Waterloo Standard 18 Horsepower Traction Engine
Built to conform with the rigid Government Specifications of all the Provinces of Canada.
Governmental Steam Allowance, 175 Pounds

Specifications
• Boiler barrel – 30 inches in diameter, 5/16-inch in thickness
• Longitudinal seam – triple riveted lap
• Firebox – length 38 inches, width 26-1/4 inches, depth 36 inches
• Grate area – 6.85 square feet
• Stay bolts – 7/8-inch diameter
• Tubes – 41 in number, 2 inches in diameter, 84 inches long
• Heating surface – 187 square feet
• Working pressure – 170 pounds per square inch
• Cylinder – 8-1/2 inches in diameter, stroke 10 inches
• Crankshaft – 2-7/8 inches in diameter
• Flywheel – 40 inches in diameter, 11-inch face
• Revolutions – 230 per minute
• Front wheels – 44 inches in diameter, 10 inches wide
• Rear wheels – 66 inches in diameter, 16 inches wide
• Traction speed – 2.75 MPH
• Shipping weight – 17,000 pounds. Here’s the 16 hp specs.... Here’s the 16 hp specstandard Equipment
Jacket on barrel and wagon top, platform fitted with steel water tank, wooden supply and toolbox and patent coupler, Ham headlight, oil pump, lubricator, two Penberthy injectors, pop safety valve, steam gauge, whistle Gardner wide-range governor, blower cock, water gauge, all necessary cocks, valves, oilers, injectors hose, oil can wrenches, flue cleaner, poker and scraper.
(The) 16 HP tractions are built according to above specifications excepting tubes are 70 inches long, cylinder 8 inches in diameter, rear wheels 60 inches in diameter.
– From a 1916 Ontario Catalogue of High-Class Waterloo Threshing Machinery catalog.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Would anybody have info on the 22hp gas tractors and portables that Waterloo made? i believe they were only made for the Western Canadian market?.Their does not seem to be much talk of them anywear

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
There was an article in Antique Power magazine on the big Waterloo gas tractors a few years back.There are records of one being sold at Roseville, Ontario. That was a big tractor for an Ontario thresherman.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
That story was in the September/October 2006 issue of Antique Power. Also, if you look in 1911 of the Winnipeg Competitions book, there is a picture of a 28 horse Abell engine with a Waterloo tractor sitting in the background.

Andrew Webb

Registered
Hey everybody!

I am happy to share news of my latest acquisition!

its a 14HP Waterloo Portable Engine, Serial #209.

I'm guessing the year it was built to be 1897 - 1898. It has the original jacket, original cast tool box and also has no dome!

This engine was owned by the Fiebig Family of Dacre Ontario for over 80 years and ran a shingle mill. I purchased it from its most recent in owner in Parry Sound Ontario. It has sat in a barn for the last ten years.

I hope that I might be able to salvage the original boiler. But this is a project that will have to wait until the 25HP engine is up and running.

In other news my 25 is now TSSA certified once again! I will be making a post highlighting some of the boiler repairs we had to do, in the near future.

Attachments

Andrew Webb

Registered
There was an article in Antique Power magazine on the big Waterloo gas tractors a few years back.There are records of one being sold at Roseville, Ontario. That was a big tractor for an Ontario thresherman.
Here’s a bill of sale for one of the gas tractors I found while
Combing through sales records at the U of G. There’s also an illustration of it.

Attachments

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Do any of you know anything more about the early Waterloo traction engine (Little Jakey) in the forestry museum at Duncan BC?

Andrew Webb

Registered
I posted in the wanted classified section, but I’m not sure how many people look at it.

I am looking for a “ swinging drawbar latch” for a Waterloo traction engine. I think they are a standard. The one on my engine got busted up prior to me purchasing it.

If anyone knows where I might find one.... or where there might be some Waterloo parts laying around please let me know! I’ve attached an image.

it could be repaired.... but an original intact would look much nicer. CA76E120-5956-4909-960E-D3468475BA15.jpeg

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
I posted in the wanted classified section, but I’m not sure how many people look at it.

I am looking for a “ swinging drawbar latch” for a Waterloo traction engine. I think they are a standard. The one on my engine got busted up prior to me purchasing it.

If anyone knows where I might find one.... or where there might be some Waterloo parts laying around please let me know! I’ve attached an image.

it could be repaired.... but an original intact would look much nicer. View attachment 377622
Andrew,
It would be much more easy to have that recast.Look up/google

Skara Metal Foundry Ltd
930 Kamato Road Mississauga Ontario

Best of luck

P.S. Where are all of the update pictures of the 25hp for this thread? :)

Last edited:

Andrew Webb

Registered
Hey Folks,

As many have done with various brands of engines... I am currently working on an International Registry of Waterloo Steam Traction Engines, currently I have around 59 engines on record, and climbing.

SO! if anyone happens to know where there might be Waterloo engines sitting around either in pieces, running, being restored, or static display... please let me know!!!

Ideally I am looking for year built or sold, HP, Serial number, where it is and who owns it.... and maybe a blurb on its history....

The hope is that some of this information will clarify some discrepancies we've noticed in recent years regarding serial numbers and dates...

Thanks everyone!