• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Waterous Stationary Engine

B

Brian Manning

Here's a picture of the Waterous Steam Engine that I rebuilt last winter. Has anybody seen another one like this. Seems to be a rare bird! Note the reverser, this has NO MOVING PARTS, just a sliding D-valve to re-direct the steam. Working on a 6x8 B.F. Sturtevant horizontal now, and after some babbit work, will be ready for next year.

P

Patrick Traubert

Picture Missing Waterous Stationary Engine

Well I am guessing but I suspect it is similar to the arrangement on my two cylinder Soule Steam Feed Works engine. Used for sawmill carriage feed.

This quick reversing engine has three slide valves, one for each engine half and the third for throttle and reversing. The odd thing about mine are the engine slide valves, they have three chambers under the valve and five steam ports as well as some check valves built into the valves. Regular slide valves, of course, have only one and three ports.

B

Brian Manning

Re: Picture Missing Waterous Stationary Engine

I don't know what happened, but if you click on my name the picture will come up. Your engine that you described sounds an awfull lot like mine, with the 3 slide D-valves, and ball check in the in the cylinder valve, etc. The fellow that I got it from said he had picked it up on Vancover island where it was used in a sawmill, thats all he knew about it. Thanks so much for shedding some light on this oddball engine. I have a 2hp vertical boiler that if I have time, I might build a 1/2 scale Best or Holt steamer using the engine. Brian M.

P

Patrick Traubert

Re: Waterous Stationary Engine Same As Soule

Except for the name on the steam chest your engine is identical to mine. Yours is well painted mine is not. It runs but needs piston and valve rods an painted. I suspect Waterous may have licensed the design from Soule or they made it for Waterous.