• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Watthour Meter Collectors?

NDmeterman

Registered
Latest addition - a 1914 Duncan HC rotating standard for testing DC meters (Thomson Recording Wattmeter etc.)

Visited a friend last weekend, and her husband's late father was a superintendent of the municipal utility for some years, and had taken home a few discarded meters over the years.
The fellow said the other 3 meters were in storage and he'll get them dug out before we meet up again this fall at Rollag - if this was such a nice goodie, can't wait to see what the others might be!

This meter needs a bit of help though - the wooden case needs to be reglued and the interior has decades of dust and cobwebs. Everything else is complete, however, and the leather carrying strap is in fine condition! I'm not sure if the wooden enclosure is missing its bottom (the fact it's a standard meter strongly suggests it should have a bottom to the enclosure!)

Attachments

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Latest addition - a 1914 Duncan HC rotating standard for testing DC meters (Thomson Recording Wattmeter etc.)

Visited a friend last weekend, and her husband's late father was a superintendent of the municipal utility for some years, and had taken home a few discarded meters over the years.
The fellow said the other 3 meters were in storage and he'll get them dug out before we meet up again this fall at Rollag - if this was such a nice goodie, can't wait to see what the others might be!

This meter needs a bit of help though - the wooden case needs to be reglued and the interior has decades of dust and cobwebs. Everything else is complete, however, and the leather carrying strap is in fine condition! I'm not sure if the wooden enclosure is missing its bottom (the fact it's a standard meter strongly suggests it should have a bottom to the enclosure!)
Nice looking meter and in quite good condition..

Hawes310

Registered
Hello group, I am new here. But i have a GE watthour meter type I-18Y i can not find any corresponding information regarding this meter at all does anyone here know anything about it and or what the value is on this guy at all? I would love to pick someone's brain regarding this merer

Attachments

NDmeterman

Registered
Hawes: This model was made for 208/120V service, and looks like it was made special for So Cal Edison before their massive post-WWII 60Hz conversion project. That's a nice one... probably worth a Franklin.

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Actually, the collector who posted the videos of the Gutmann, CA-3, and DW-14 is in south-central Texas.
Actually there is a second one on Youtube and its in Canada and here is the video. These are rare meters and worth $1000.00's of Dollars as you well know.. You will see only a handful of these around..

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Actually, the collector who posted the videos of the Gutmann, CA-3, and DW-14 is in south-central Texas.
Here is another youtube video of the Gutmann Type A and this one happens to be mine.. Lots of collectors would love to try and snag one from a tag sale for $20.00

OttoEngineMan

Registered
This Vane Dampening Watt-hour Meter I think is one of the scarcest and rare ..! This was on Ebay about 5 years ago and got the guy to pull it for a nice offer...:) I drove all the way to Iowa to pick it up..

Attachments

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Also this particular TRW Meter is very scarce too for sure. 1899 POLYPHASE TRW and each of these massive meters weigh in excess of 60LBS. Meters are very large in diameter for a particular reason anyone..?

Attachments

waterloo123

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2020
Anyone else collect old meters?

I've a few I'd like to find new homes for, including a coin-operated meter.
Yup, I collect them. I do t have many. I still come across old buildings that have them on the primary meter banks. I mainly collect the old switch gear, transformers, and early hydro generators. Mostly just 2 phase oddball stuff. That's aside of my hit n miss engine hobby.
Best, JR

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Yup, I collect them. I do t have many. I still come across old buildings that have them on the primary meter banks. I mainly collect the old switch gear, transformers, and early hydro generators. Mostly just 2 phase oddball stuff. That's aside of my hit n miss engine hobby.
Best, JR
I am looking for a 1st "GENERATION" 1886 Westinghouse or Stanley Transformer if you ever know of one for sale and will pay huge bucks..

waterloo123

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2020
I am looking for a 1st "GENERATION" 1886 Westinghouse or Stanley Transformer if you ever know of one for sale and will pay huge bucks..
I have a dry type and an oil filled, but I won't sell them. They are hard to come by. When I used to live near Pittsfield I found alot of cast iron case transformers and surrounding areas in NY yielded great cast brass nameplates off of Stanley generators.