Way Back At Milton Steam Era!

Re: Way Back At Milton SteamEra!

And have not got a clue about the final one. Maybe some of the detectives on here will have some ideas?
RM.
G: Could this be Vic Hall"s Sawyer??? Steam Era used to have a photo of it on their web page, but I just discovered it is gone, so nothing to go by. Just a thought.

R.

Last edited:

Gary, Ross and Robert!
Thanks for all the comments. You know, this is Smokstak at its best, just guys chatting, kibutzing, chewin' tobacco and spittin' out tales (the one about the kiss by the horsebarns is maybe a little over the top Robert and just a little bit disturbing really!:eek:). We don't all have the chance to get together face to face and this forum should be a place where we can just do some visiting and remembering.
And Gary, I have read enough on here to know that you have been kind of pre-occupied lately!:) As my dear mother used to day, you have had other fish to fry. Now that things are starting to settle in for the winter, I am looking forward to reading more from you!
So I did come across a 1972 SteamEra show booklet. There is a list of the steam engines on site and it is not complete as some, like Bill Johnson's big White and others are not listed. There is also a nice picture of Dennis and Marjorie Webb's ol' 20 hp Minny. This is the one that the famous Harris boys now have in the wonderful Empire State on New York. So! That engine went from one family of fine people to another family of people of first class quality!:O
Now, what about the Sawyer-Massey, boys? Any thoughts? There must be other year books around if anyone wants to post more pictures? if you are short of picture space on here, I can post them on for you.
Adios amigos,
Hardly ever kissed at SteamEra,
RM.

Attachments

Well G: Your last picture of the Sawyer, has the same feller at the wheel as the feller putting on the belt in the previous photo.

Robert

Beth V

I got kissed:brows: somewhere betwixed the horsebarns and grandstand one evening. Not gonna tell, loose lips sink ships, all I will say though is that I could be driving a 15-30 F-M about now. Boy was I sleeping!!!

R.
Robert!

...and here I thought you went to shows for the equipment!?!?:O

Beth:D

Beth?
He maybe classes his lips as some kind of equipment!:eek: Perhaps they should be registered on some kind of government list?
Robert bin sawyer likes to pass himself off as some quiet, refined Ontario farm boy. Then he lets it slip in a previous post about some shenanigans at earlier shows. I know for a fact that there are pictures of some of his past episodes and really, that was the whole point of starting this thread, to smoke some of those out:brows:. And Ross better be careful too as he is no little angel!:j:
Moi, on the other hand, always on the straight and narrow!
RM.:wave:

Beth V

OK Robert, Ross, Jamie, Sharon, Tim, et al......

It seems Onkle G aka Rick M has laid down the gauntlet to find pictures of HIM in less than mainstream pictures...sounds like a new thread!:brows::D

Beth:wave:

Beth,
Sometimes you can be a real b..b..b..bother!:rolleyes:

Here is a better picture of the Webb's Minny around the time they got it in maybe '68?
Also, Bill Johnson and Lou Holt's locomobile. It was built on a 68hp Sawyer-Massey rear mount boiler and always was a crowd favourite. The other one pictured earlier was built around a Goodison boiler and an IHC truck chassis. Both are still around but inactive at this time.
One of the enjoyable parts of the show for me was just sitting around in the evenings after the crowds had left or were at the grandstand listening to the singing. There would always be a gathering over by the tractors, enjoying some light bevvies and just talking old tractors and such. There were still plenty of old boys who could talk from experience of the working days and if you cared to listen, there was plenty to learn. Just keep out of range of the chewin tubacca spray!:eek:
RM.

Attachments

Beth V

RM,

:D Thanks for the compliment!;) ...there is that "Bribery" thread, you know...:O

I'm looking forward to the "young" RM photos as taken by other folks.

Great photos from Milton here!

David Stirk

OK more pictures have been requested. Some of these are from possibly 1961, 62 possibly 63. Any parade picture showing travel from left to right (or south if you no the grounds) would be 1961. Apparently the parade direction was changed by discussion in Sept 1961 meeting after first show. (for what its worth)

Out house picture is Mr. Sam Newell (johnny to the spot)

Johnson & Holt Locomobile in front of grandstands

Unknown gentlman on Eagle Tractor.

Mctaggart tractor (was at show in 2008 in special display i believe)

If you can fill in any name it would be appreciated. I have collected quite a number of old pics but don't have names for many.

Great post G. ......more coming

Attachments

Sharon & Jamie

Beth..."G" tends to stay away from the cameras I don't know if many pictures exist of him! ( I have to be careful..he may have some of me and he is a friend of my Dad who has lots and lots of stories)

Robert or is it Seymor:cool: a 15-30 F/M...hmmm I wonder who that could be?

It's amazing the stories that Ross and I have shared over a few bevvies...great memories for sure.

Annie Bush passed away about a year ago. What an inspiration she was. Aunt Marina (Vics daughter) told us about a safe in a bank in Milton that had to be moved. All the men in town had no clue as to how to get it out...Annie to the rescue with the wrecker,block and tackle and out came the safe. Ross, your Dad was right Annie was beautiful right up till the end...the last person you would imagine running a tow truck!!!

Sharon & Jamie

Dave, the fellow on Dad's Eagle is his cousin Gord Brook. Back in the day Dad had a whole crew that ran his stuff. Back then Dad trucked everything, except the steam engine, on the deck of the 47 Merc 3 ton. After the last load the tall racks were put on with a canvas tarp over top and the truck turned into a camper. With our 50th show coming up I am trying to convince him of bring the "camper" back for the weekend.

David Stirk

Heres a rair picture of someone we all know & respect. date on sign on Big Mini advertises plowing match for 1971 Sherwood Hume i believe all smiles.

Downtown parade picture also said Sherwood Hume.

Down town parade pictures Stapleys engine with cab

Last a picture of the opening cerimonys (cant figure what is being used for ribbon?)

Attachments

Beth V

Beth..."G" tends to stay away from the cameras I don't know if many pictures exist of him! ( I have to be careful..he may have some of me and he is a friend of my Dad who has lots and lots of stories)
Sharon & Jamie,

Not a problem......I'm afraid there are stories everywhere on everyone.....someone will assist this mission...:D

Your camper sounds fun. My brother used to use an old school bus prior to his marriage...for some reason that "easy to hose out" bachelor pad wasn't her idea of camping...:O Sure was practical though! Great place to play cards in the rain too!

David Stirk

Great, thanks Sharon. Will note it on picture. I think some of these early show items would be well worth the effort to bring. Especially if an old picture to go with it or something.

Any idea who the girl is on steam engine?

Attachments

Sharon & Jamie

Dave...Back in the day Milton had a newspaper that actually promoted our show...the ribbon is a copy of the paper from the printer on the pages they did for us. Holding the one end and smiling is Bob Clarke. Andy and Jamie brought this look back at the shows this year and were often seen with there matching polka dot hats with the brim flipped up!! It was the in thing in fashion then, some where I have pictures of dad sporting the same look

Sharon & Jamie

Beth... I can still remember climbing up a step ladder to get in the back, the crack in the floor where the bottle caps went to land in a hub cap, and the oil smell of the canvas tarp.
Sharon

David Stirk

I was thinking it looked like a newspaper....Great...another person named. thanks....Im not sure im going to support the hat style though. However i might consider camping in a cookhouse behind steam engine (if i had one) ...maybe....

Heres another picture of 3 people on steam engine. Obviously invited dignitary.

Also picture the Howe family Eagle. Whoes the gentleman on Back. I have met hime long time ago but forgot his first name..Whos riding bike in same picture?

Attachments

Now that's the spirit kids, keep all the good pictures and memories coming!:O
Oh! And just ignore Beth, she is always trying to stir up trouble. There may even be some skeletons her closet!??!:p
Dave, would the genleman on the big cycle be the late Harold Gaddye from Binbrook? Thanks for posting all the neat pix. I especially like the one of John Howe, The Bear! Another good old pal.
Oh, not sure about the girl on the engine, but Robert bin Sawyer has probably kissed her under the grand stand or behind the stage or in some other location!!!!!!!!
RM.

Beth..."G" tends to stay away from the cameras I don't know if many pictures exist of him!
Sharon and Beth: The way I understand it, in order to capture a photo of Onkly G., one must dangle a "spirit catcher" in front of the camera lens,................either that or a hamburger, not sure which:shrug:.

R.