wayne air compressor piston.

timbo917

Hello,

I am rebuilding a wayne air compressor pump from the 50's.
I already had the crankshaft reground and bought new bearings.
But now i noticed the piston from the second stage has a crack in it.
somebody could help me with a piston? I have already put time and money in
this pump so I hope I can find one. annybody got some wayne parts laying arround or a pump for parts?

[/URL][/IMG]

[IMG[/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

timbo917

When I don't get lucky to get a replacement piston I was thinking about making one on the lathe. It won't be possible to make me a cast iron one I think so I was thinking about making one from aluminium. Would I be obligated to make a new first stage piston out of aluminium to? I have been reading about balance but I think the original setup was pretty much out of balance to when you compaire the size of the pistons.

regards

Tim

Tim B

Subscriber
where is the crack? If it is a short one in the skirt, I would drill a small hole at the end of the crack and run with it.

K-Tron

I cannot see a crack either in that picture. You need to ultrasonically clean those pistons and rod ends before putting too much into that compressor. Every two stage compressor I have seen has cast iron or steel high pressure pistons. You will not see find a two stage compressor with aluminum pistons. Those compressors are unusual even in the USA. What is the diameter of the second stage piston? Quincy might have a high pressure piston that may fit with a little work.

Chris

timbo917

The crack is in the inside of de piston,where the piston pin hole is.
it could be my fault it is cracked,my workbench is not so level and the damn thing roled of and fell on the floor. Stupid. I have worked on some 200 bar dive compressors and there all the pistons exept the final one are aluminium. So I taught it would be ok for low pressure.

---------- Post added at 11:43:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41:33 PM ----------

I really taught these where common compressors in service stations accros the USA. Here in europe I have never seen an other.

timbo917

Got lucky today,found a leroi piston that I can adjust to make it fit.
hope they are willing to send it to europe.

Tim

timbo917

Piston was in the mail today. It is to smal!!!!
They gave me the mesurements before sending it but the diameter is
way of. I could have the bore sleeved to fit the smaler piston but this will be an other expense. I wil give machining a piston from aluminium a try first. Hope it wil work.