• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Webster mag poits opening

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2019
Can anyone advise as to how far the points should open on a igniter outfitted with a AMM Webster magneto. This goes on a 1 1/2 hp Rock Island. Problem I'm having apears that there is insufficient spark to fire the gas mixture. It appears that with the head off and triping the magneto it was getting a spark but not very big and that the points were opening less than a 1/16 inch. However when tripped manualy it puts the mag springs in more tension and forces the points to open more and creates a bigger spark. Also the movable igniter point spring that holds the points closed is quite stiff. Could this be the problem with the return of the armature not able to move the points apart far enough to creat a sufficient spark? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks - Kevin

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017
I am no expert on the Webster but I recently had a problem starting one of my Webster equiped engines so I took it to the farm and recharged the mag, and wow what a difference. It had always ran well but it has a really hot spark now. I recharged three extra mags the same time and tried them on different brackets. It didn't seem to matter much how far the points opened, they all had a hot spark. I usually set the set screw on the points to have the points open at rest. They close when tripped. That works best for me. I know there is a difference of oppinion. I would pursue the mag recharge if at all possible.

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2019
Thanks Dan, That makes sense to me to have the points slightly open at rest as otherwise it seems the current wouldn't be as strong once the armature reaches the stopped position. Think also I'll take you up on the suggestion to get the mag charged. - Kevin