Welder Identification Help and Info?

Handyhiker1

I went to look at this unit as I was told it was a generator. Turns out it is a welder. I don't know anything about welders but couldn't pass up the deal.
What I do know is it is a Continental F163 engine with a 175 amp DC Onan electric power head. Don't know the year or brand name it was sold as.
Would like to get a wiring schematic as a few wires are missing. The engine is not locked up and all the carburator linkage moved freely. These are the only pictures I currently have but will be picking it up on Saturday.
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Re: Welder identification help and info?

This looks.... Familiar. :brows:

Photo number three, second post, looks an awful lot to me like a voltage regulator. Further evidence that this set was not built as a welder generator.

Of course seeing that regulator hanging off the side of the machine, it's clearly not original so... The mystery continues!

Either way, it would be a fantastic set for someone "off grid" running a 24 volt battery...

radiodoc

Absolutely a wild guess but perhaps a power unit for some type aircraft while it is on the ground???

cobbadog

I cant see anywhere where there is a power lead outlet to be used as a generator set. I noticed the 2 terminals at the bottom on the left hand side for cables to be connected to but I don't see how it would be a welder. No voltage adjustment so I agree it is a power source for something but what?

Handyhiker1

This looks.... Familiar. :brows:

Photo number three, second post, looks an awful lot to me like a voltage regulator. Further evidence that this set was not built as a welder generator.

Of course seeing that regulator hanging off the side of the machine, it's clearly not original so... The mystery continues!

Either way, it would be a fantastic set for someone "off grid" running a 24 volt battery...
It is a voltage regulator. It does have an ID tag on it but I don't have a picture of it. It was tucked in the unit but loose and has some clips on it where it could clip on somewhere. I pulled it out for the photos.
I will get more pictures Saturday and post them. Guess I bought something just not sure what. :shrug:

Vanman

Subscriber
Whatever it is, I think it's cool. :D I would have bought it too.:brows:

I'm looking forward to seeing what it does once it's running.

Handyhiker1

Question for the welding gurus on the forum. The rag on the Onan power head says 175 amps at 28.5 volts. Most welders that I have seen are 200 plus amp output. Is this a low output for a 4 cylinder welder?
I am really perplexed by what the real purpose of this unit was. Welder/generator/ground support? I have searched every way I can think of and just can't find another picture like it.
I will get more pictures and all info I can when I get it home tomorrow.

slip knot

Subscriber
I don't know why I think this but I believe the 28volts is a bit low for an engine drive welder. For some reason 40volts is what I recalled. But I've been wrong before.:shrug:

Handyhiker1

The more I look and try to research this unit, the more I believe it really is a ground support unit for aircraft. There seems to be quite a few that are 28.5 volt.
Not sure what I will ever use it for but it will be a neat project to try to restore.

Handyhiker1

Okay, the mystery is solved!! It is a Signal Corps PE 143-E and the serial number is 709. It does have Air Force on the top but could not read it till I cleaned it up a bit.
I cleaned off the tag on the front top of the radiator and found the other info. Sorry for the thread in the welding forum, it doors fab a label that says welding lead hook up but it is not an original label, that is what threw me.

Attachments

cobbadog

Glad you have identified your new toy. It would be a nice display with some signals at a Rally and you will be about the owner person there with one.
If unsure what to do with it I would imagine that a Air Force museum would be interested in it.