• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

welder shunts

DKamp

Registered
Do you mean the current measuring shunt, or on a shorting-bar for the current tap setting?

If I were to use ANYTHING on a contact, it would probably be a dielectric grease, but probalby not on a high-current connection, and particularly not a petroleum grease, as it would result in ignition and caking-up... but if it's say... a pivot shaft that's not in the immediate current path, I might polish and spray it clean, then wipe a little dielectric grease on the pivot areas to reduce binding. In the case of welders, there's lots of airborne particulates, and the cooling fan naturally sucks them in... anything that enhances adhesion of the particulates is going to gum things up pretty quick, so less is best.
 

circuitman

Registered
thanks for the reply!i was talking about the piece that slides in & out of the the core.i loosened the brakes on the side a little that helped a little.this is a miller thunderbolt. got it for $200. it's ac/dc. was full of a rats nest. had a lot of cloth & paper. had take the fan apart to get it to run again.if you have any more ideas i'm open to them.ERWIN :)
 

Scotty 2

Registered
would you put a little grease on the slides of a shunt in a welder?
If it didn't have any grease when you cleaned the rats nests out then I wouldn't now. The chances are it's corrosion that's making things stick if there was a rat nest in there. Pull it all apart and get rid of the corrosion. Shine the slidey things up. How's the threaded rod? Rusty?
When you think about it any grease would be kinda useless on the slides. Why did they put a fan in there to start with? Make things cooler. The main 'core' would probably get quite warm, especially if there's no over temp. protection. What would happen to the grease when the welder heated up?
And grease holds dirt and dust.
 
Last edited:

darkd0r

Registered
After you clean and polish, you might try some silicone spray lube like 3M MM08897 or 8887. No idea how it holds up to high temps, though.
 

DKamp

Registered
Hopefully your rat didn't chew insulation away and urinate on everything... that's usually the biggest issue...
 

circuitman

Registered
THANKS! they didn't chew anything, packed it like a cotton bail though.stopped the fan from running, had to take a part & clean it up. it works good now though.
 

Top