• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Westinghouse Static Ground Detector

Mechanic1952

Registered
I'm hoping someone in this forum can help me. Many years ago, I rescued a Westinghouse Three Phase Static Ground Detector from destruction when an old substation was being demolished. It's a 2200 volt unit, and still works. I'm trying to determine if it has any collector value. I can take more pictures if anyone is interested, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

9F91633F-BFFE-4E32-B2BA-39B19DBF898E.JPG

Larry Rusch

Registered
There may be some interest. Westinghouse was big on 2 phase - 5 wire systems well into the 20th century. Also 2200 volts was a Westinghouse standard for factory distribution systems. Your 3 phase unit with those early patent dates may be some of the first units they utilized in their 3 phase substations. They used Scott yokes to switch 2 phase to 3 phase and vice versa throughout their facilities when 3 Phase took over. Cheaper than replacing all that 2 phase equipment.