• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

What are these Hammers, Tools?

J Eddy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2020
Picked these tools up last weekend and would like to know they were for. Brass one is 10" long, other is 8". Steel one has what looks to be RAVO stamped on it. Thanks

Attachments

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
Re: What are these hammers, tools?

Just a guess
The wood handle one is for opening and closing widows the type we had in school
The one with the black handle is a nail puller

J Eddy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2020

Thought I'd seen the brass type with a long handle somewhere, so would make sense . Thought other might be for pulling tacks, but wasn't sure. Thanks

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016

Photo #3 is a fencing tool. Used for driving and pulling wire staples.

Jim

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

My guess would have been farrier's hammers.For horse shoeing.
Doc

Last edited:

M.Canute

Registered

Photo #3 is a fencing tool. Used for driving and pulling wire staples.

Jim
I agree with you. Even though they have the same basic jaw shapes a nail puller needs to be pounded into the wood so the jaws are able to grab below the nail head and there's no provision for that but a staple is above the surface and would be easily grabbed by those jaws.

DCAmp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2020

The brass one is for opening and closing windows. The hammer at first I would have said removing / installing wheel weights but for fencing would be a better guess.

Robt.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Most online images describe as a tack hammer. Could be used for carpet or upholstery tacks. Maybe even by box makers.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Jeff K nailed it. We had those long handled window openers for those upper windows back in high school, I have one of those staple pullers some where around here.