• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

What are these people thinking?

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
has anybody seen this engine on ebay i just came across this today it is a 1hp ideal (engine only) the person is asking a buy it now price of $1,299.00 and starting bid of $999.00 far as i am concerned these engines are not worth this without the hole mower under them and even then i dont think they are woth that i am not trying to be cheap here by no means but that is a little much for a 1hp ideal what does everybody else think on this?.John

http://ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180712862098

cerwin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2013
Looks like it is in good shape, but it does say that they have not run the engine. Assuming the engine is running and every thing is working order I would have to agree with ram $600.00 dollar range or so with out the mower.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
still over $900.00 is to much running or not running although the engine is in great shape i agree $600.00 is the limit he might get more if the mower was their aswell.John

Briggs Man

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/28/2014
I don't know enough about these types of engines to comment on their worth but I'm willing to bet that there is a good chance that he will sell it..

Somebody will want it bad enough to pay his price !!
:shrug:

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
I don't know enough about these types of engines to comment on their worth but I'm willing to bet that there is a good chance that he will sell it..

Somebody will want it bad enough to pay his price !!
:shrug:

thats the sad part about it they want it bad too bad some people play on this idea.John

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
He may end up relisting it a couple/few times.

If he drops the start price, I could see it going anywhere between $400.00-$750.00 but I'm not real familiar with that brand to know much about them or what others like it have sold for.

With eBay's newer listing format with free listings reguardless of start price, it makes sence to start high, especially if it's something that not may not generate very many hits the first time through. If no-body sees it and it starts too low, it could sell with a single bid if you don't put a reserve on it. Free listing makes for cheap advertising until you have enough people looking at it to warrent dropping the start price & taking a chance.

Right now, he's got the start price pretty close to his buy it now, so it likely won't get any bids the first time through. But I could be wrong. Someone could always think the buy it now is a bargain and take it at that. You Never Know !

Tom Martin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2012
I think this particular engine is overpriced, but I have seen them sell for $800 to $1200 for a bare engine recently. I have owned a couple and they are a nice, small, good running H&M engine. With the mower, they are too heavy and take up too much room, in my opinion. They are of a similar size to a Galloway Hand Andy, and the Handy Andy's are going for above $2K.

Briggs Man

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/28/2014
thats the sad part about it they want it bad too bad some people play on this idea.John
Yup, that's what the seller is counting on. By the description, he's not even sure that it runs. I'm willing to bet that it does (looks like someone put alot of time into restoring it). I wouldn't mind a small hit-n-miss for myself (I love to hear them run), but not at that price !

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
It's been relisted with the start price down to $799.00 and removed the $1,299.00 buy it now.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Depends on which Wico you're talking about. An EK will go $200.00- $250.00 or more on its own, but may not affect the overall price of an engine unless you're talking a "parts engine" where the mag is worth more than the engine its on.

As for the whole mower..... It Should Be worth MORE, but many people prefer to have Just the Engine as it doesn't take up as much room. There are people that collect antique mowers and they make wonderful displays that you just don't see everywhere, but look at how many thousands of early overhead valve Briggs & Stratton engines there are out there compaired to the number of reel mowers and other equipment that they came on. Too many people threw out the mowers and kept just the engines, yet once in a while you can pick up a mower without an engine for very little money and put one back together.

Sorry for rambling, but it seems to be what I do......

Doug Oldenburg

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
A small Ideal like this sold a few days ago on Ebay for $238.00. The seller claimed it ran but part of the latch out mechanism was home made & it didn't work quite right & the glass was cracked in the oiler. It was located in New York,but if it had been at least 500 miles closer to me,you can bet I would have been on it. I Emailed the owner & asked if he would either ship it or get it to Portland for me to have a friend bring it home for me & he said NO to both. :shrug::shrug: