• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

What garden tractor is this?

Doyle

Registered
Recovered this from my Dad's barn last year. It had not run in at least 25 years since he tried to "fix" the carb. He couldn't find one so over the years the carb disappeared. I found one that would bolt on, put in new rings, had the flywheel shaved so it would spin when tightened and now it runs. Briggs 8R6. There are still a number of issues, gas tank, how to hook up the throttle to the different carb. wheels need greased and sealed etc. Any info/help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

Doyle

Registered
Thanks Tom, I tried to go to that link but Macafee won't let me! Anyway. it's good to know that it's a Gardenaide. Needs new belts too, It tries to run me over when I start it. I've adjusted the tensioner parts but still not right. One belt is longer than the other. And I'm having trouble getting the wheel off to work on the bearings.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Needs new belts too, It tries to run me over when I start it. I've adjusted the tensioner parts but still not right.
Without the belt cover on your tractor, no amount of adjusting or new belts will solve the problem of the tractor trying to run you over as soon as it starts.

The belt cover serves to hold the belt in suspension around the engine pulley when the clutch is disengaged and belt tension is released. Without the belt cover, the belts are always laying in the pulley grooves even when loose, so there's never really full disengagement. Some tractors don't use a full belt cover like the Gardenaid, but have some kind of heavy wire form or flat steel to serve the same purpose.

Jeff LaCrone

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2018
Gibson tractors use guards to keep the belt off the pulley when disengaged also. Grinds the gears a lot without them.

Doyle

Registered
That's good information. Any thoughts on a source for a belt cover? I did not see one in Dad's barn. It's in Alabama so I won't get a chance to look until next winter.