• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS FORUM?

Wayne 440

Registered
If you use the Chrome browser, get the "high contrast" extension . It lets you invert the colors, use a grayscale view and a few other things. It is free and takes seconds to install. I'm using the "inverted grayscale setting".

Jeff Holbrook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/29/2019
I'm very confused! What are trophies? Don't understand new system, much has gone away and I can't find it?

Power

Registered
If you use the Chrome browser, get the "high contrast" extension . It lets you invert the colors, use a grayscale view and a few other things. It is free and takes seconds to install. I'm using the "inverted grayscale setting".
I deleted Google Chrome the day Harry started this thread. Harry not liking it is reason enough for me. I run IE, Firefox and Opera, depending on the device.

Why I'm Leaving Chrome

Power

Registered
That is why I wrote "IF you use...". IF I'm the only one here that uses Chrome, please disregard my previous post.
Wayne, good information.
I am sure some use Chrome.
I know my way around inside computers, software, routers, modem- stuff in the building, but as to the web, Harry is my expert. I read the entire thread and links and decided to follow his advice.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, one more time... All monitors, or computer screens if you like, have brightness and contrast knobs or push buttons as the case may be depending upon the era that they came from. You need to find out how to use them and if that doesn't work, your office supply or computer supply store should have shade screens or shields, a.k.a. a plastic sheet that you tape or stick over the face of your monitor to reduce your eye strain, a.k.a. Computer Vision Syndrome. Office staff workers have complained in one way or another about too much time on the computer, affecting eyes or arms on the keyboard for the past forty years! That's known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and an entire industry has sprung up making arm pads, weird keyboards, weird chairs, etc. to fit the market place. If you read those links above, you may end up at your doctor's office, but I do suggest an extra pair of glasses, designed for a distance of two to three feet (eyes to monitor and keyboard) so that you don't have to use the ones you drive with, go hunting with, or watch TV across the room with. You also don't need to squint to use your bi-focals.{RANT OFF} :ROFLMAO:

There are just as many colors in this forum as the old forum: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/new-web-site.192724/#lg=attachment371923&slide=0 You want the colors of the rainbow, I could fix you up, but. I'm a conservative.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xen...mAhUwU98KHYO3DY0QsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1682&bih=918

Last edited:

Power

Registered
Ok, one more time... All monitors, or computer screens if you like, have brightness and contrast knobs or push buttons as the case may be depending upon the era that they came from. You need to find out how to use them and if that doesn't work, your office supply or computer supply store should have shade screens or shields, a.k.a. a plastic sheet that you tape or stick over the face of your monitor to reduce your eye strain, a.k.a. Computer Vision Syndrome. Office staff workers have complained in one way or another about too much time on the computer, affecting eyes or arms on the keyboard for the past forty years! That's known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and an entire industry has sprung up making arm pads, weird keyboards, weird chairs, etc. to fit the market place. If you read those links above, you may end up at your doctor's office, but I do suggest an extra pair of glasses, designed for a distance of two to three feet (eyes to monitor and keyboard) so that you don't have to use the ones you drive with, go hunting with, or watch TV across the room with. You also don't need to squint to use your bi-focals.{RANT OFF} :ROFLMAO:

There are just as many colors in this forum as the old forum: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/new-web-site.192724/#lg=attachment371923&slide=0 You want the colors of the rainbow, I could fix you up, but. I'm a conservative.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xen...mAhUwU98KHYO3DY0QsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1682&bih=918
Harry, I think some are finding just this site too bright. everyplace else is OK. I looked at the color skins, and something like Uniform may keep everyone happy. I see some skins cost extra. Do you know what is included with your subscription?

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
as I show up here I see some changes every day as you learn more about how this critter runs and can be built. would be nice to add dry wood coal and good water some steam oil and go but good things come in time I see a back ground change that looks like smoke or steam. this does help a ton and I feel gives it a good look. and with a up date to the pc I have a much better monitor and yes every thing is brighter and new glasses as well at the same time I guess iam no longer in the dark. keep up the good work an a big thank you for keeping this going and alive for us all!

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't expecting to make it DULL. I could have gone with one of the new Millenial skins with doo-dads here and there plus the colors of the rainbow. I think I've kept it quite conservative and "Kept It Simple Stoopid" KISS. Use your brightness and contrast!

Then there is this: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles-2-x.45/?page=1 but I'm not getting into it. This forum is stock XenForo plus a few screen customizations add-ons and no custom finaglery so that future operators can easily deal with it.

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2020
I, for one, THANK YOU HARRY !
I have no idea what these guys are talking about. The new forum has never had any bright colors or any of that BRIGHT Blinding stuff that others talk about. Just an off white or light gray background with black printing. Each member's little "Icon" over on the left, has some color to them ... but not much (like my little bulldozer) In the last couple days .. in between each post, I can see a little strip of what must be a "back page" is a black background with what appears to be large blue snowflakes.

I'm running a very old IE browser

Untitled1.jpg

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that when I changed that background, it stayed the same because a PC or phone has a cache that stores all of your recent images for faster delivery. The only way that you can get an up-to-date version is to delete the cache on your computer. It will rebuild itself and then you are up to date. Be careful if you delete your cookies, your passwords might go away so have them written down.

Power

Registered
I like the smoke background. Hopefully it will help ol' Yoda/Shafer, be a shame to lose him...:)

I think it is better. Took off my sunglasses;)
I e-mailed Billy, letting him know about the change. I am sure he will look when he can. Let's see if Harry's change and my suggestion that he change to a larger font or reduce resolution and increase screen refresh rate to 75 HZ or more does the trick.
We have seen some of the same things, and I consider him a friend.

Last edited:

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
I understand that as time changes, some products and platforms' support goes away, so everything that relied upon that platform must be replaced... and I applaud Harry, and everyone else involved, for porting all the old, to the new... but what I can't figure out, is why, when there's something that's been refined and proven over time, someone comes along and feels that it must be changed, just because it's 'old'.

As for the forum software, the one thing I just don't get-

Why is there all this wasted space around the outside of my screen, and the poor font? The prior forum format was very space efficient- it didn't make big huge dots with letters in it, it had 'real' information on the poster there, made good use of the screen, making it extremely easy to read.

The 'artistic' typeface is not kind to eyes. I would not be the least bit surprised if Billy's discomfort is from the narrow-aspect typeface. Typographers worked with opticians a hundred years ago to determine what surface area, aspect ratio, and shapes were least likely to be misread under most conditions, and from that, GPO specifications set down for military and government project documents, this carried over to everything from road signs to billboards to newsprint and books. Now, with the advent of anyone's-choice-of-font, we have artistically illegible everything...

Last edited:

Sonny Reese

Registered
Hey guys,---Most all forums are having to change their software and it's a beech to re-learn it! --IF you think this forum is hard, go check out MTF site! --It's TOTALLY off the wall the way it looks/operates! --- HARRY,--- full steam ahead, buddy!---LOVE this forum!

SPutman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/27/2019
H
Remember, the old system was once new to us, too, before it became familiar. Think of this as a new pair of shoes replacing a worn-out pair.

Hurts like hell until either your shoes or your feet are worn in.