• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS FORUM?

Max Thompson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Now I do not feel so bad. I thought I was being punished for saving that generjunk transformer yesterday. The following message is all I get. :cry:

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Another "Whoopsie" in the continuing saga of the forum upgrade. I'm sure Harry will be able to fix it. I admit I was pretty surprised this morning when all the other generator forums were there but the Onan forum was missing.

chrish001

Registered
Now I do not feel so bad. I thought I was being punished for saving that generjunk transformer yesterday. The following message is all I get. :cry:

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action
I get the same message when I try to access it. All other forums are there.
Maybe all us Onan guys are bad boys! :eek:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I get the feeling harry is working up something to help billy out or trying to. remember when the transfer shut the whole site down? maybe this is a perk to the new site, maybe its setup where harry can work on one section without the fuss of shutting the whole thing down? I also noticed when i searched my threads nothing in the onan section showed up either.

jayzauto1

Registered
Thought I was on the wrong site... Looks Modern Now!!!!! Hahahahahahhahaha. But actually, a few of the forums I visit have updated to this more modern style...... Is that an oxymoron?? Modern look to a Forum on Vintage/Antique Equipment ???!!!!

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like the new system. it is definatly not senior friendly!!!
A senior installed it and got it working and is now involved in making it work better. This senior is 78 years old now. The deal is that if you want something, you keep at it until you get it. The old board was dead, With no further support, no further improvements. We are now alive and well.

Last edited:

Leon N.

Registered
A senior installed it and got it working and is now involved in making it work better. This senior is 78 years old now. The deal is that if you want something, you keep at it until you get it. The old board was dead, With no further support, no further improvements. We are now alive and well.
Yes, I know, but being 82 it is going to take time for this guy to get to like the change. I really miss the way things were and especially the fellow Stakers I use to converse with. It’s too bad, but I am loosing interest because I find it frustrating at times to converse, haven’t yet figured out how to do PMs. Looks like you have new or at least new to me Stakers and some of the older guys have dropped off. Oh well, I am realistic, this change was bound to happen, I will miss not being able to help anyone who is trying to save a few bucks by trying to restore one of those old Onan generators in order to provide reliable back up power to a homestead. What a bummer! Out with the old and in with the new.

Power

Registered
Yes, I know, but being 82 it is going to take time for this guy to get to like the change. I really miss the way things were and especially the fellow Stakers I use to converse with. It’s too bad, but I am loosing interest because I find it frustrating at times to converse, haven’t yet figured out how to do PMs. Looks like you have new or at least new to me Stakers and some of the older guys have dropped off. Oh well, I am realistic, this change was bound to happen, I will miss not being able to help anyone who is trying to save a few bucks by trying to restore one of those old Onan generators in order to provide reliable back up power to a homestead. What a bummer! Out with the old and in with the new.
Well, Leon, I am 77 next month. I commiserate.
Harry had no choice. The old site was FUBAR. It was either put an unbelievable amount of work in and get everything moved here or no stak, so we gotta make the best of it. You ain't going to like the change. It is like when a friend dies. you miss them and the way things were, but have to make the best of it and move on.
Yer lucky Harry is running it, not me- I would have been overwhelmed and no more stak.
With adjustments Harry took the time to do, and posts I made documenting the adjustments I made to my monitors, the screen issue is resolved for almost everyone.
I logged in once, set browser to remember password and spot, and am done.
When I click on icon, it logs me in, I look at the bell at top right, and it tells me if anyone responded to posts I am following. I then click on What's new tab, to left of center, and see if there is anything I want to look at.
DONE.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Also if you see a user name that you want to converse with, click on that user name. A small window will open showing the user's location and offering you to click on START CONVERSATION. When you do so, you are basically into the old PM system. Any reply will be flagged on the small envelope at the upper right, you click on it and it shows your messages received. You click on one of them and a dialog opens up that you can reply with.

Bob in Mi.

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/28/2016
Also if you see a user name that you want to converse with, click on that user name. A small window will open showing the user's location and offering you to click on START CONVERSATION. When you do so, you are basically into the old PM system. Any reply will be flagged on the small envelope at the upper right, you click on it and it shows your messages received. You click on one of them and a dialog opens up that you can reply with.
Harry,

I respect all the work that you have done and the reason why, understand there will be growing pains, but the EngineAds portion need some work. I used to post my fenders that we made on both the steel wheel and rubber tire sites, now I'm dazed and confused, I see several of the long time posters (Gary for one) are gone, no more ads from them. I tried PM'ing an ad, I finally just gave up. I'm hoping you can go to the same style as you had but in your new format. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Ray Freeman

Registered
I'm having issues getting onto Smokstak with windows. I'll go a few days not being able to open the page and then it comes good for a while? No problems with my Android Tablet.