• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
After many months of sitting on my trailer I finally unloaded my 5.0 CCK that I bought form the Devil (long story). I had to unload it since I need the trailer today to haul furniture. The 5.0 CCK is HEAVY. I would like to try and kick it over, but time is limited right now.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

001a.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
One thing I noticed that I never seen before on my sets or in pictures here is the choke system. The choke sensor is bolts to the exhaust manifold (see pictures below).

Johnnyc
New Jersey

20200208_110417.jpg20200208_110417.jpg

Attachments

Zephyr7

Registered
JohnnyC reminds us that furniture dollies are our friends! :)

Looks like you’re going to have some fun with those bolts on the exhaust manifold. Those look like they’re rusted pretty badly. Do you know if this unit is a runner or not?

Bill

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
JohnnyC reminds us that furniture dollies are our friends! :)

Looks like you’re going to have some fun with those bolts on the exhaust manifold. Those look like they’re rusted pretty badly. Do you know if this unit is a runner or not?

Bill
Bill, very good question. I have no clue if it is a runner or not. I jumped on it when I seen it for sale since it was only $75.00 (or was it $50.00? I have to check my earlier post on this set) and the seller, the Devil, was not too far away. The set is not locked up and has compression. I am itching to install a set of battery cables and a battery then try to see if it kicks on starting fluid. This is my 2nd 5.0 CCK. I sold my first 5.0 CCK 4 or 5 years ago. CCKs are built like tanks and weigh as much too. Time permitting on Sunday I will try to kick it over after doing a quick overall assessment on typical things that may need attention such as points, carburetor, blockages in the cooling passages, exposed wires if any, etc...

As for the furniture dollies, I ended up using the only one I had available for the 5.0 CCK as seen in my last set of pictures (stupid me!). However, I got the Boss involved and she did a great job in carrying the furniture as seen from my porch security camera pictures below. If she sees or finds out that I posted her picture, I am as good as dead meat, but I could not resist! Who needs dollies when the Boss gets involved.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

001a.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Your in DEEP SH>T!!:yikes: She who shall not be mentioned better never see this post.:p Or You'll be under that dresser...Hahahah:ROFLMAO:

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018
Throttle Rod to carburetor

Lot of different engine manufactures put a long small diameter weak spring over rod to pull on arms at both ends of rod. Takes the slop out of hole in arm that rod fits in, result is less/no random surging

Last edited:

Max Thompson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Spent the weekend getting a replacement set ready to install in the shop. I decided I would rather have the un-housed vac-u-flow set than the housed set that has been in place for 10 or so years. This is one of the sets I got in the load from South Shore Generator in Ma. last year. I find the vac-u-flow easier to work on, since most components can be accessed without removing any sheet metal. This set also has the pertronics electronic ignition.

Built the base yesterday, the meter box was built last year but never finished. Painted a few other odds & ends while I was at it. Primed yesterday evening and got a coat of green on them first thing this morning. Worked on wiring (and put mud flaps on mamas car) while the paint dried. Mounted the meter / outlet box (there is a 50 amp. plug in the side of it) this afternoon and installed meters.

I had already spent many hrs. cleaning up and doing maintenance on this set. It was missing several pieces, including the entire control box, starter and a few other items. I think this is where the starter from the JB went to.

I put several pictures in an album https://www.smokstak.com/forum/media/img_0010-jpg.21297/ I forgot to load them in reverse order, so they start from finished job to the beginning. This is my first try with the "new format" for building an album, so not sure if all the descriptions are there.

Attachments

EICBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I like it!!
I have been looking for a while for a JC like that.

-BobC

Max Thompson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Got the replacement JC set in and plumbed up last night. I was pleasantly surprised the 11/2" unions in the old exhaust both came apart with little effort, maybe that high temp anti seize is worth the time. Still need to install heat shields on the exhaust and redirect the cooling air outlet.

Note: there is 22" of separation between the gas piping and exhaust, though in the picture it looks to be much closer. The retired set is headed for storage.

Attachments

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018
I found 2 cans of anti-seize, silver and bronze. Used it after friend in car transmission repair shop said he uses it on bolts and everything. So I tried it. I found even few years later stuff outside that normally puts up a fight comes apart VERY easy. So now I use it on ~ everything. It also keeps threads from rusting, and helps that way too.

Last edited:

Max Thompson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
What I did with my Onan "Manuals" today. I finally got all 6 boxes of manuals laid out in some kind of order on the floor and started listing numbers and what they cover + date. Printed a copy of the index off the twanslan site and when I got a note book page full, I checked them against the index. So far, I have about a dozen or so that we do not have in the index. CW is where I stopped. The ones on the shelf are done, ones on the floor are waiting.

The DE--- through DZ--- series cover 20-30 sets and all appear to contain a gen-section from Onan and manufactures engine & parts manuals. I checked a couple against the index and looks like the library may grow by the time this mess is cleaned up. I am hoping some of the old diesel service & parts manuals may be of help to someone.

I will get with MBB & Kevin to confirm which ones need to be scanned, then recruit volunteers to help. It may be a week or 2 before I get to that point, depending on work & weather. Got to go to the range this weekend and help get traps out and set the clays course back up.

Attachments

Max Thompson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
If you are young, have good eyes and can still get down on your knees, ignore this post.

For the rest of us old farts that need a lot of light to see anything, and can no longer spend half the day on our knees, I had an idea. Picked up the roll around stool a few months ago and love it, but still need lots of light to see. I have been using a 4’ LED strip light a lot lately, but it is not very handy and always in the wrong place along with the cord that is always in the way of the wheels.

So for $18 and an old lawn tractor battery I now have light that moves with me. At 15 watts each, the battery should last till lunch time. A switch under the seat, and both lights rotate side to side or up & down. No more cord to try to roll over, or trying to find a place to hang a light that I will want to move in 5 minuets anyway.

Attachments