• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

What is this chisel used for?

RobW

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/11/2019
Someone found this in a barn and brought it to the local museum. The total length is 14 3/4 inches and the cutting edge is 2 1/2 inches wide. I didn't measure the step / offset but it is about 2 inches. It might not even be a wood working tool.
IMG_0591a.JPG

IMG_0592a.JPG

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Re: What is this chisel used for

I hesitate to even comment, but it could be a masonary tool to level up a brick in laying it level, somehow.

Tom G

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I believe that it may be a butteris, which is a blacksmith's tool used to trim horse's hooves.

Bob Willman

Registered
It could be for chiseling a flat surface. The offset gets the operator's hands above the surface to be chiseled in order to protect the knuckles. I believe casket gouges are made with a similar handle offset.

Bob
WB8NQW

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
My guess would be either for barrel making or shipwright tool for inside hull planking. Again just guesses.
Doc

Lonnie Grissom

Registered
Re: What is this chisel used for

I think tom g is right. I have pictures or these tools factory made. This one was home made in bs shop . The handle gives it away. Tells me that is not a barking spud even though it could be used for such work.

RobW

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/11/2019
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the local horse farrier historian passed away a few years back so I guess I will have to see if the library has anything on farrier tools that were used in earlier times. Another person thought it was a farrier tool but a fellow that was at our local agricultural fair claimed it was for cleaning out mortises when building barns. I feel that the way it is shaped that it wouldn't work for that. I tend to think it is a farrier tool myself but I would like to see an illustration of how it was used.

RobW

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/11/2019
Thank you Sir! That helps to confirm what some others are suggesting.

GarysToys

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2018
Here in Lancaster County the Amish use a tool like that to remove wooden shingles.