• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

What is this Engine?

EngineHunter

Registered
Trying to figure out just what this engine is and who made it. It is setup to be tank cooled but has a pulley on the inside of the right flywheel that appears to have possibly driven a water pump originally. Brass connecting rod, brass governor assembly, brass throttle lever. Spark plug is on the side of the cylinder along with intake and exhaust. Just an odd engine I'd like to know more about. There's also a rather interesting patch on the right side of the cylinder that was made with a piece of plate and bolted on.

Pictures of the engine:

Attachments

Target Driller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
I'm curious of its origin too. Looks to have some very nice age to it and nice artwork detail on the flywheel spokes.
Someone did a very nice patch modification on the cylinder.
I'm waiting for some of the more knowledgeable collectors to chime in on this engine.
Thanks for posting the photos

beechcraft1

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/13/2020
Looks like it has some resemblance to the Magnet made by Petrie Manufacturing. They used a very similar side valve setup like this one has.

EngineHunter

Registered
I was told that this engine was owned by someone who worked as a locomotive technician and that's who did the repair on the cylinder. Yes it's a repair, but with the way it was done I think it adds a certain amount of character.

Blair Goss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
EngineHunter - we have one similar, but with some differences. Oil sumps instead of grease cups, different fuel saver, etc. but must have been the same maker.

Do you know if your engine originally came from Canada? An old fellow told us that ours was made north of the border. No name tag to confirm. You may find that the serial number is also stamped in the head.

I'll try to get some photos after Coolspring.
Blair

EngineHunter

Registered
After looking the engine over, I cannot find any serial number stamped anywhere on the head. The only numbers I found were on the connecting rod, and the number on the rod and both pieces of the rod end match in number.

One thing I'm curious about is the large counterweight cast into the flywheel with several holes in it. Both flywheels have this counterweight, but the flywheels seem solid all around so I'm not exactly sure what these counterweights are needed for. Either way, they are very unique flywheels that I hope someone out in engine land can help me identify.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

JSWithers

Registered
The counterweights looks to be positioned exactly opposite the crank throw as they should be. If the flywheels are symmetrical the idea is the counterweight is equal to the weight of the piston and rod for balancing.

Don Selmer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
That counterweight design is on some other engine makers also. MIAMI, HOWE, and VIRTUE & POUND just to name a few. Actually to me it make sense to have them there instead of the of the outside of the rim about the same location as the crank throw as far as location to the diameter to the flywheel rim.

Travis Benner

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/07/2019
Enginehunter,

Here is the closest I can come up with so far. Looks a little like a Messinger but not quite right. I saved this picture years ago but it’s not mine. Anyone recognize this engine? The valve chest looks similar with the spark plug in the middle but this one is hopper cooled and has a different flywheel weight. The way the valve chest is attached also looks different. The flywheel weight in your pictures looks added instead of being cast into the flywheel...

Thoughts?

Attachments

IHCMatt

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/01/2018
Enginehunter,

Here is the closest I can come up with so far. Looks a little like a Messinger but not quite right. I saved this picture years ago but it’s not mine. Anyone recognize this engine? The valve chest looks similar with the spark plug in the middle but this one is hopper cooled and has a different flywheel weight. The way the valve chest is attached also looks different. The flywheel weight in your pictures looks added instead of being cast into the flywheel...

Thoughts?
Travis,
That looks to be 2hp Quincy engine made in Quincy, Pa.

EngineHunter

Registered
Travis,

I think the weights are actually part of the flywheel. It all appears to me to be one casting. I'm not sure if something could be added to cast like that, but I'm no expert in that area for sure.

Blair Goss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
EngineHunter - here are a couple photos of ours. The fuel saver uses a long brass rocker which rides up a ramp on the exhaust pushrod. SN6117.

Is the bore of your engine about 6 inches?

Blair

Attachments

EngineHunter

Registered
Blair, yes the bore looks to be 6". Your engine looks very similar other than thefuel saver mechanism. Thank you for the pictures!

EngineHunter

Registered
Just looked through Wendel's American Gasoline Engines book cover to cover and didnt find anything that looked exactly like this engine. Is there a book similar to this one for Canadian engines?

Any more ideas about where to look, or does anyone have an idea what this engine is?

EngineHunter

Registered
I took this engine to the Portland show this past week, to tinker with it and see if anyone had any ideas about its' manufacturer. We were able to get it running with the help of several folks and even found a nice original battery box to put on it to hide the buzz coil, but were unable to solve the mystery of who made it. Thank you to all who had a look at it and those who helped in getting it back to life. May try to get it to Coolsprings in a few weeks and see if anyone there has some ideas. I'll post pictures later of the engine with its' new battery box and wiring.

EngineHunter

Registered
Somewhat, but this engine has a 4 bolt "head" (just a piece of plate steel) and intake and exhaust valves are directly opposed to each other. But that holliday engine is one of the closer matches that I've seen.