• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

What is this thing?

Junkologist

Subscriber
I’m curious if anyone knows what this is or what it is used for. It has a small light bulb that shines through a lens to the other half which has a narrow slot and another lens behind that. There is some kind of receiving device to register the amount of light that passes through the narrow slot, I’m guessing. Has a tag with model #2950-004 and serial #5438.

Attachments

Last edited:

I like oldstuff

Subscriber
Re: What is this thing??

Looks like an early iteration and only one part of what's called NINTD machine control. (non interlocked non tie down)

Two of them are placed on a machine say a punch press and to operate the cycle you put your hands or fingers in each slot. You block both light beams and the machine will cycle. The controller for these incorporates a timer that requires you to actuate both switches within x time to operate a cycle. if you would say put a block of wood in one so you only have to actuate one switch the machine won't cycle.

Or it could be part of a system to trigger or to stop a cycle based on 'part present'.

I like oldstuff

Subscriber

maybe i'm full of it, it looks military to me...
I thought so too. Typical black paint and maybe wrinkle finish make it look 40's-60's military. Using a simple and short lived bulb also says it's pretty old.

Junk O, open it up to see if there is a name inside it.

Junkologist

Subscriber

I thought so too. Typical black paint and maybe wrinkle finish make it look 40's-60's military. Using a simple and short lived bulb also says it's pretty old.

Junk O, open it up to see if there is a name inside it.
I did open it up and there’s no name that I could see anywhere. It’s regular black paint on cast aluminum and the screws are nickel plated. I thought it looked military also.
When I googled the model number, I got a military coaxial cable result (aircraft part).

---------- Post added at 07:34:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30:35 AM ----------

It might have a photo-cell on one end across from the bulb on the other.
It does have a photo-cell opposite the bulb and behind the narrow slot and lens.

Amphenol plugs are used in industry and agriculture. They are very durable and weather tight that is why the military use them. What is pictured has several applications but it does look like a lock out for machine operations. Two would be used for your hands for a cycle start. Light is on one side and receiver on the other so when the light beam is broke the machine is enabled. We had several applications for these to detect motion or presence..

Kimbra Dean

Subscriber
99% sure it is an edge sensor for controlling centering equipment on a strip processing line. We have sensors on our tire fabric processing line that are very similar.

Junkologist

Subscriber
99% sure it is an edge sensor for controlling centering equipment on a strip processing line. We have sensors on our tire fabric processing line that are very similar.
That makes a whole lot of sense with the narrow strip on the light receiving end.