• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

WHAT IS THIS?

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I have to admit I dont have a clue! LOL! somebody around here is bound to know. Heck I would like to know what it is too.

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
That's different. Could it be a clamp for sharpening or putting the "set" on a bandsaw blade? I'd like to know also.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I picture it as some tool for making a groove in sheet metal. That's what comes to mind, although that is just a WAG (Wild A. Guess)

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
We need more pictures to better determine what all it does do, that one hand wheel has me baffled! it may very well be to put the set in a saw, but it also looks like it can strech / shrink something with the other hand wheel.

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Looking at the 2 levers it would seem that if you pushed those down the cam would lift the bars, so I'm having a hard time seeing clamp bandsaw blades? The base looks like a shoe cobblers form pedestal.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
LOL wayne! popular mechanics is stumped too, going on 5 years with no answer!

Scotty 2

Registered
We need more pictures to better determine what all it does do, that one hand wheel has me baffled! it may very well be to put the set in a saw, but it also looks like it can strech / shrink something with the other hand wheel.
Agree. More pictures needed. Is it me or is the first picture the same picture as in popular mechanics?
Cheers Scott

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2020
Looking at the 2 levers it would seem that if you pushed those down the cam would lift the bars, so I'm having a hard time seeing clamp bandsaw blades? The base looks like a shoe cobblers form pedestal.
Yes Dalgirl .... humping the cams WILL lift the bars ... on the cam side of the pivot bolts. The end of the bars on the other side of the pivot bolts will pinch ... presumably a band saw blade.

Last edited:

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yes Dalgirl .... humping the cams WILL lift the bars ... on the cam side of the pivot bolts. The end of the bars on the other side of the pivot bolts will pinch ... presumably & band saw blade.

If there was a pivot in the center of those arms I could see it working that way, but it looks like a bolt on one end and cam on other. Seems like cam would tweek the bolts? Agreed, we need more pics, and after 5 years you would think someone could have cleaned it up and gotten the parts moving, which might give us more clues:)

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2020
Well that explains it ... it's a "Bolt Tweeker"
Since I have no immediate need for "Tweeked Bolts" ... I'm going to assume the bolt holes are slightly oversize .. or oblong ... and the cams purpose is to pinch the other end of the bars .... not to Tweek Bolts. (Think "Milling Table Clamps)
or maybe .... it's a two man Nut Cracker ? You cam the bars & place walnut under the bar, un-cam the bar, then hit bar with a hammer ?
Looks to me like I can see some sort of jaws or lips on the stubby end of the bars ?
Maybe place fingernail in lips/jaws .. then cam the bar & clip your fingernail ?

Esteban32696

Registered
The owner of the item just asked someone at a local library if they could identify it for them, by the picture . Looks like they also put the picture in Popular Mechanics several years ago. !

Man, I haven't seen one of those for probably forty years or better. Newer processes made them obsolete back in the forties..........

I haven't got a clue.

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Looks like a kind of bending unit, the cam locks pinch something in the front and the upright on the circle moved for and aft by the side wheel and the small wheel is a quick stop. My guess.:) Or a type of press since the gear on the long rod is not a full circle.:sneaky:

Attachments