• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

What kind of compressor is this?

Blackbeard

Registered
I picked up this compressor a few years back. It was hooked up to an old Briggs model Y, but I took the engine off and cleaned it up and got it running, but I set this compressor aside and now I'm wanting to tinker with it. I can't find a tag on it and I believe the color is overspray from auto paint because the Briggs had it too, but cleaned off relatively easily.
Does anybody know who made this compressor and maybe an approximate era it was made?

K-Tron

Registered
Im going to say with 100% certainty that it is not a Quincy or Wall compressor. It has an early Devilbiss or Keystone look to it. It appears to be a two stage compressor, but why is the crank offset? There must be two cranks geared together for it to work. Im really curious now what it is. I think some cleaning is necessary to find some numbers or a name.

Chris

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
To me, the part that looks like a second cylinder looks like an air chamber.

Blackbeard

Registered
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I'll clean it up with some dawn and my hot water pressure washer. Maybe that'll reveal some info.
I'll be sure to post my findings.

beezerbill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
Yes, the second offset "cylinder" is probably a little air chamber receiver. Has no valves on top and has a little water drain valve at the bottom. Not sure what the little doohickey on the output plumbing is - might either be a shut-off switch (if the original motor was electric) or an overload valve that just spits out excess air if the Briggs was the original motor. In any case it looks like it was meant to be carried around by the handle in the center, as if it was originally a tire inflating compressor or general auto shop compressor.

Paul Woodworth

Registered
You are right Chris It is not a Quincy or A Wall. I have all the early one. I live near Quincy IL. I have a lot of old Compressor, but not this one. Paul

G.M.Johnson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/05/8018
This one has had me stumped as well! I'm leaning towards a very early Binks paint sprayer compressor, and yes it is only one stage with a larger attached finned receiver for cooling purposes.