• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

What kind of swag do you want from a show?

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
When you desplay your great stuff at a show do you want a small metal plaque? A vinyl plaque with a magnet on the back? T shirt? Pin, Big cardboard my engine is.... Or other?

I am running the first ever Lima engine show on May 18th in Lima NY. Being the first year, there is no bank account so we can't offer it all but I would like to have something for exhibitors.

BTW we are going to ask, but not require exhibitors to join so they get a news letter, some pictures of the show ETC and we get a couple of dollars for next year. What should we charge

Thanks

Frank

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
the metal plaque seems to be the standard.
I have a stack of them and about 10 years worth of them are tacked to the door of my home built camper. Some of the shows don't happen any more and the plaque kinda helps me to remember some of them.

Now this is just opinion so take it as such but a donation box might be a better way of asking for help than "requiring" joining or something of that nature.
Are you going to be open to the public?perhaps a 2 dollar gate fee?

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
05/13/2009
I like the metal plaque also. Our local show also gives a button as well as the plaque.

I would agree with the "donation" box. You also might be able to get some local business to "sponsor" the show.

BMyrkle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2017
I guess the metal plaque and the button, but only because after 30-40 years of shows, we have a hell of collection of them -- don't want to stop now, lol. They don't really excite me, though.

Best show perk I remember was the show we used to go to that let everyone line up each morning and get 2-3 gallons of gas, which in turn encouraged people to run their engines instead of letting them sit. That's probably cost prohibitive these days, but it was very nice.

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Thanks for the input. We have already commuted to having a donation box for a local charity so I don't want to have a extra box. It looks like Plaques are the way to go. I just need to figure how to pay for them and get ourselves on a good footing for the next show.

The show is open to the public, and right now there is no plan for a gate fee The Gate is where we are planning to have the donation box for the charity.

DieselAddicted

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
At the risk of offending a few folks to be brutally honest I take the ribbons, plaques and pins home and toss'em in a box with 100s of others and never give them another thought. Thus I guess I can honestly say that I place little to no value on any of it:shrug: I actually pass on them when they come by handing such out but it sometimes appears when I am out and about. I guess a tee shirt would be my choice as it has value as a garment.

Personally I'd rather shows not purchase any of the "freebee" stuff and take the cost of it out of the price of admission or maybe offer them for sale to anyone who wants to amass such.

Last edited:

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
Last Subscription Date
02/10/2020
I usually refuse to take any plaque or button from a show. I realized a long time ago that stuff tends to stay in my truck. They scratch and poke me and my CD's.

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
A few shows I have been to are running a shingle mill and brand the show name and year into a fresh cut shingle. But really I get a kick out of just showing and don't really need any more stuff to try to find space for in the shop. I think a big hearty "thanks for bringing your stuff" is probably the most appreciated.

Always happy to buy a T-shirt though...

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
I REALY apreaciate the input. Perhaps a thank you, a hand shake, and a printed certificate will do it. Once we get a count for this year we can order hats or T shirts. A big problem for a first show is we don't know if we will have 5 exhibitors of 500. In my mind, I am picturing about 20 but that is based on nothing.

Emil K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
One show we attend sell exhibitors a meal ticket for lunch each day for 5$ and they put on a nice lunch just for the exhibitors which I thought was really nice.

Dan Hodge

Registered
If all goes well I think I will be at your show so now you are up to Two exhibitors if you bring your stuff Frank. Personally I could care less if I got a button or plaque. I don't Display them I show engines and tractors. Don't waste your money make the show enjoyable for all and people will remember to come the next year. Dan

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
To me, the worst thing is a ribbon. To be honest they pretty much end up in the garbage after being in a drawer for a while and getting crushed or bent out of shape.

A few shows have given exhibitors t-shirts and I think that is the most practical way of thanking an exhibitor and I've worn most of them.

The European shows have to best swag! They give you a brass plaque or in some cases a cast model of the featured engine/tractor. The Nuenen engine show is one of the best and I've attached photos of some of their examples.

A couple of NW shows in the past have given nice brass plaques, but unfortunately, these are usually only for significant shows and not an annual thing.

Attachments

WesPete66

Registered
If it's not too late to respond here.. I do like getting the metal plaque or button but I gotta admit they just get put in with the others, and t-shirts are welcome, but I'm not there for all that.. At one event I displayed at, one of the guys (who was a director there) came around and stopped specifically to say hello and thank you for displaying at our show. Ya know that was the best swag I've gotten yet. (There are places I've been to where I don't get so much as a wave!)

Scotty 2

Registered
One show we attend sell exhibitors a meal ticket for lunch each day for 5$ and they put on a nice lunch just for the exhibitors which I thought was really nice.
Hello all
Over here a lot of rallies have the little plaque you can buy, and that's nice. I normally buy one.
The best thing the organisors of a rally has done for me is to put on a feed. It doesn't cost much to bung a BBQ on and many of the exhibitors really appreciate it. No need to cook or find a feed at night and it's a great way for the exhibitors to get to know each other and the organisors of that rally.
One really good rally used to just put on the free feed and all the 'grey nomad' tourists got know about and rocked up in great numbers lining up for a free feed. So now they have a cheap feed.
It doesn't take much to make exhibitors happy over here.

I'm definitley against the free entry for spectators and making the exhibitors pay. Without the exhibitors there is no show. How would a $2 entry plus the donation box be?
A few shows had the free fuel. Too much of it went into vehicles to get home. Practise stopped. The minority stuff it up for the majority.

Cheers Scott
PS: Asking what sort of swag would you like means a whole lotta other thing over here. A swag is what you sleep in.