• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Where can I purchase exhaust/intake valves by size?

MBreen254

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2009
I am in need of locating a supplier that can match up replacement valves by actual dimensions, not by engine model. I have searched for Fuller & Johnson engine parts for my Western Electric model 15B generator and have had no luck. So far I have been able to repair most of the broken parts but need to replace (1) exhaust valve. I would appreciate any input as to where to start.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
If you have a NAPA store in your area. Measure the head Dia. , stem Dia, and length and contact them and ask them to look in their valve book and see if anything there comes close to what you're looking for. Also the way the valve locks to the spring. You'd be supprised what you may find.

MBreen254

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2009
Thank you very much....always suprised at the help fellow engine collectors are willing to give!!!!

Thanks again!!

John Schwiebert

Registered
I think what is being refered to is the NAPA parts spec book. They were issued in the 1990' and many valves have been made obsole and new ones addes which are mostly smaller in size. Do you have dimensions for your valve. I have at least 2 of brands of valve catalogs?

Bud Tierney

Registered
Looking at an old valve catalog, it has columns for Head size, Stem length, dimensions for Stem end (.247-.250-1/4 to .809-.812-13/16 in 14 graduations) and keeper variation: slot, groove, hole, groove and hole,threads, hollow threaded, slot and hole...Fun!!

MBreen254

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2009
Thank you everyone!! I have located replacement valves at ACME. FIY. If you get onto www.melling.com you click on "dividions" then "engine auto parts" and then click on "catalog" you get a drop down list of their individual catalogs....about 12 listings down you will find "valve progressive size chart" You can download this and it will give you all the sizes of valves sorted by head diameter. I was able to locate the exact replacement valve for my Fuller & Johnson. The only modification I will have to make is to drill the retainer hole in the stem. Hope this helps anyone else.

Again, Thanks to all who responded!!!!!

M. Breen