• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Where to buy parts for IH Magneto

Bogbilly

Registered
Hi Guys, I am in the progress of resurrecting A U9( same as a W9) IH motor on a generator. I will need to rebuild the mag on the engine as there is a no spark situation. I will be replacing the coil, condenser, points Rotor, Cap and Coil cover. I will also replace the original wires and plugs plus all gaskets. My question is what supplier do you guys use for parts. there are a lot out there but I need your input as to a reliable supplier. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Unless you want to stay all original, that one would be a easy upgrade to a more common distributor. when IHC upgraded they changed very little. We had a IH cub that had a mag that was giving trouble, best i recall it was as simple as changing the units out.

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/06/2020
Those H4 IHC mags are very reliable and easy to rebuild. If it were mine I would stick with the magneto as apposed to swapping out for a distributer. I have recently rebuilt 3 of them and purchased my parts from Steiner tractor.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
you need to verify "why" it has a no spark condition. That "looks" like the same setup on the drive end as the distributor has. there are two plugs for a grease fitting, and they are plugged to prevent over greasing. if they have never been greased the gears wear out and the shaft will fail to drive it. also can be gotten at steiner. BTDT.

stufforbud

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/17/2019
Hi Guys, I am in the progress of resurrecting A U9( same as a W9) IH motor on a generator. I will need to rebuild the mag on the engine as there is a no spark situation. I will be replacing the coil, condenser, points Rotor, Cap and Coil cover. I will also replace the original wires and plugs plus all gaskets. My question is what supplier do you guys use for parts. there are a lot out there but I need your input as to a reliable supplier. Thanks in advance.
If you want to skip a lot of work and spending, I'll sell you a good working, reconditioned one for $150 + shipping.
Bud

Bogbilly

Registered
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I will stay magneto and I thank you Bud for the very reasonable offer of 150 for a reconditioned one, but this is a hobby project so the point is to do all the work myself. I live in Canada and the shipping from Steiner tractor is as much as the parts. I will try Napa as we do have the chain in New Brunswick. no loss if they don't have the parts and I will then order from Steiner. I do have another question on the function of the Mag. The wire that is connected to the condenser on the outside of the mag. Is this a grounding wire to turn off the engine?

Last edited:

stufforbud

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/17/2019
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I will stay magneto and I thank you Bud for the very reasonable offer of 150 for a reconditioned one, but this is a hobby project so the point is to do all the work myself. I live in Canada and the shipping from Steiner tractor is as much as the parts. I will try Napa as we do have the chain in New Brunswick. no loss if they don't have the parts and I will then order from Steiner. I do have another question on the function of the Mag. The wire that is connected to the condenser on the outside of the mag. Is this a grounding wire to turn off the engine?
Yes, that's what it's for.

cobbadog

Registered
The other option for parts is to open the "sponsors" link at the top of the page. There is a long list of maggy repairers and should be one near you. Good luck with the rebuild and dont forget to strip it all the way down and inspect those gears mentioned that can be worn.