• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

White Trucks

TonyClemens

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but I post on several other truck related sites. I have two White trucks, a '57 White WC22PLT and a '59 4400TD. I basically finished the '59 last summer and currently working on the '57.

I've had the '59 for four years now. My Dad drove this truck when it was new, putting over 900,000 miles on it. It was traded in for a new White Freightliner in the fall of '66 and the dealer made a wrecker out of it. It stayed in the same location until I bought it in January '06 and started its restoration.

Attachments

Kris Golden

Welcome Tony! :wave:
I watched the progress on your '59 over on the ATHS website as I lurk there on a regular basis. You did an awesome job. I'm sure you will enjoy this site!

Dave Wight

hellofa good job tony,nice to see that old iron back in circulation. I drove a 59 just like the one that your dad drove,that was in 66,67,68, then got to drive a 60 hayes caboverfor a year.keep up the good work. thanx again dave

TonyClemens

Thanks for the complements. I take the trucks to antique tractor shows and I'm always amazed at how much attention they get especially by people who used to drive them.

I hope to get the '57 in the body shop later this summer. It's going to be painted the same color as the '59. I'm doing some mechanical work on it now in preparation for the body work. Pulled the radiator and had it boiled out. Will install it tomorrow. Need to finish some wiring and also have one of the fuel tanks boiled out and coated.

John Schwiebert

Nice!.Is there a White truck group? After White purchased Oliver some of the dealers around here purchased used White trucks (9000 model was the most popular) for use in there dealership. Do you ever see any White PDQ trucks? They were built not to far from here till the factory had a fire.

TonyClemens

I'm a member of the Classic White Truck Group www.classicwhitetrucks.com , which is a division of the American Truck Historical Society www.aths.org . Not many classic Whites around here anymore. The Classic White Truck Group has an annual show, the White Bash. It's in Harrisonville, Missouri this year.

Here's a few pictures of the '59 when I was having it towed home and after it arrived. Also some current pictures of the trucks loaded and ready to go to Henderson, Texas for the antique tractor show.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Tony, Glad to have you on board here. I had many comments on your White truck from people at my gas up the other day. I am sure glad you brought it over. I didn't know the White was used as a wrecker. What compnay was that for as I new most all of the wrecker operators in east teaxs from the early 80's through the 90's.

Dwayne

TonyClemens

Here's the story on the '59. I was three years old when I first rode in this truck. Dad drove this truck from when it was new in '59 to the fall of '66, putting over 900,000 miles on it. It was originally a tractor with a fifth wheel. The truck was purchased new from Brodnax White Truck Co. in Tyler, Texas. This was the first diesel truck that Mr. Brodnax sold. The company bought Dad a new White Freightliner in the fall of '66 and traded in the '59. Mr. Brodnax kept the '59 and made a wrecker out of it. It was used from late '66 to about '87 on the road for vehicle recovery. It was then used for another 10 years to move trucks around the shop. After that it was parked outside the shop. I bought the truck in January '06 and started the restoration. Although the dealership had been sold a few times in the later years the truck had remained at the same location all these years.

TonyClemens

I drive it fairly often. I'm particular about when I drive it, no night driving and try not to get it out in the rain. The truck drives good it's just having to watch out for the other guy. Spare body parts for the truck are hard to come by.

S

Sky

I hear ya. Things get intresting quick with those "other" drivers.

Candy T.

Welcome Tony,

This forum needs a guy like you pictures and history are always welcomed.

I really like the wrecker. We had our chance at an Autocar wrecker. Just couldn't come up with the funds. It was really neat. It had a lot of local history. I do believe its in China now. What a waste.

I look forward to more pictures too. Old trucks are great!

Candy T.

darrin

Nice trucks!I know where there is a few in the woods not to far from here.
2 are tractors one even has wood spoke wheels teens or 20's
I remember it had the white logo casted in the rear axle.Thanks for the pics.
Darrin

J Kocak

Subscriber
Nice Truck's Tony, My Dad had a few White's,here is a pic of one of the straight job's we had. Will try to find a few pic's of the others we had. Great truck's them old White's,wish I still had all the one's we had, only kept one. Jim

Attachments