• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

White Trucks

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
Tony had his White at East Texas ATAE show in Henderson this weekend. Not my first look, but boy is it nice. Got to visit a good deal, but missed out on getting a picture of the big red truck with Tony. Engine building was too far from the trucks, I guess.
Great job, again.

TonyClemens

Registered
I really enjoyed meeting you Bill. I meant to get some pictures of you and the engines but we had lots of spectators checking out the trucks. See you next week.

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
Tony had his little red White at J R Smith's Gas Up in Tatum, Texas today. Great group, engines, trucks, one tractor and good fellowship.
Here is a picture of Tony with the truck.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I guess that is why you were not at Temple this weekend. There were about 20 trucks there. One old pete had a 12V 61 Detroit in it. That is a big engine. Your White is looking good.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Tony, did you end up buying that 65 White? There is a nice original one for sale in Massachusetts. It can be seen at the classifieds in Hemmings Motor News. When I was a young guy, I worked for a house mover. We had a single axle White. Not sure what year it was, but it was gas and I think it had a 3 or 4 speed aux. transmission. I believe it originally had a concrete mixer on it. I can share a funny story about that truck with you. We were moving a huge three story house. It was formerly a convent for a church. The house probably weighed at the very least, 50 tons. We had to pull it down a steep hill, to get it to it's new location and our old White Mustang had crappy brakes and we were worried that if the house got away from us, we wouldn't be able to stop it. So we went to a local truck rental place and rented a big tandem axle Kenworth for this particular job. It was the largest truck they had on the lot. Well, when you move a large house or building, there are always allot of spectators around to watch the show. On the day of the move, all the utility trucks were standing by for wire removal if necessary, and a pretty good crowd of people to watch the move. We set up two 30 ton simplex jacks on either side of the bolster, raised it up, and backed that brand new shiny Kenworth under it and locked the fifth wheel pin. We let the truck warm up a little bit, and then my buddy jumped into the cab. He put the Kenworth in the lowest gear it had and let out the clutch. The rear tandem tires just jumped up and down on the ground, slipping and burning rubber. He gave the truck some more rpm, same thing. The Kenworth would just not pull it. Great, so now what do we do. Bear in mind now, everyone there is watching our every move. Well, our White truck had weak batteries in her and the cab had a hand paint job on it, plus several dents due to hauling buildings close to trees and whatnot. That old White was definitely not "pretty". We unhooked the Kenworth and drove it over to the White. Everyone was just dumbfounded when we jump started that old White. We drove her over to the house and hooked it up. Once she was warmed up, my buddy let out the clutch and that old girl just took right off pulling that big house like it was not even there. The spectators were astounded. You had to be there to see their faces. I was 25 then, and I'm 71 now, and I'll never forget it. They're thinking "How in hell is that old truck going to pull that house when that brand new Kenworth wouldn't do it. In all fairness, the Kenworth just had the wrong gearing. My buddy had to show off, so he jumps out of the cab of the White and lets her drive by herself for a ways. She just would creep along nice and slow. He would walk beside the truck with the drivers door open so he could jump in fast if he had to. He used to like to freak people out doing that. We ended up chaining the Kenworth to the back of the house and piling as many oak blocks that we could fit on the back of it for added weight and used that truck to hold back the White going down the hill. I don't ever remember a job where that old White didn't perform the task she was asked to do. Seeing your post and the pictures of your nice trucks brought back all those old memories for me. Thanks