• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Who has a Hendey?

shakeyjake36

Registered
I have a very old Hendey lathe and near as I can figure was build late 20s early 30s. It has been the work horse of my home shop. What I can not figure out is the plate on the quick change gear box. " feed is 4 time threads per inch" here's my problem 1.5 tip should be the slowest feed and 80 tip should be the fastest feed, however 80 is certainly the finest feed and even at that it's way too fast to get a fine finish. All the Hendey's I've seen have the same plate and it has confused me for years.

Second question is what tailstock taper where used in the early days? #4 morse is too big and 3 is too small. It could be BS but that is my guess. Some day I will have to bore the barrel or make a sleeve but some people say a taper must be ground to be correct so I haven't crossed that bridge yet. I thought I'd ask around and see what you thought.

gvasale

Registered
Re: Who has a Hendey ?

This question might get a faster answer on the Practical Machinist web site in the Antique Machinery thread.

You do have to register and when posting be specific with the title of your post. You do not want it closed/locked because of a "meaningless" according to the moderator, title.

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Why would you think 1.5 tpi is a finer feed than 80? Are you feeding with the half-nuts?

ChipTosser

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2016
TPI= Threads per inch.

1.5 tpi = .666 thou. per inch

80 tpi = .0011 thou. per inch when using the half nut

I am not familiar with a hendey, but most lathes have a feed engagement lever that is separate of the thread engagement lever.

Norm W

Registered
Most Hendy's have a knurled wheel in the center of the carriage feed that when tightened will start the feed. That is assuming that the rears are engaged with the headstock and the carriage/threading selector on the apron is in the correct position.

jcarter

Registered
Check this out http://www.lathes.co.uk/hendey/index.html . If you can determine the model from the pictures the info you need should be there.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Oh, forgot to mention, I have a Logan that you have to use the half nuts for feeding. It doesn't really feed slow enough to get a good finish either. Google tangential shear tool. This lathe tool will produce a excellent finish at the feeds we are referring to. Actually, here is a good link. http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/VerticalShearBit.html

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
here's my problem 1.5 tip should be the slowest feed and 80 tip should be the fastest feed, however 80 is certainly the finest feed and even at that it's way too fast to get a fine finish. All the Hendey's I've seen have the same plate and it has confused me for years.

You're thinking bassackwards Jake.
Think of it like this .... At 1.5 TPI .. the tool will only make 1.5 revolutions per inch travel. At 80 TPI .. the tool will make 80 revolutions per inch of travel.

I know the tool isn't rotating ... the part is.

shakeyjake36

Registered
Why would you think 1.5 tpi is a finer feed than 80? Are you feeding with the half-nuts?
" feed = 4 times tpi". 1.5 x4 =6. 80x4 =320
No I'm not feeding with the half-nut

Glenn, you may be on to something .

I have always just made do with this machine but this has bugged me for years. Thanks for the posts.