• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Who's a Linux user here? Linux? What's that?

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Bless you for daring the big plunge! Linus Torvalds got it sorted, running and then let the code be open source. Free for anyone.
It may have been suggested to start our own thread in the past so here goes! :hitfan:
No bad feelings about anyone else using whatever they choose but some different ways to doing things? The same way! :)
I'd been using Puppy Linux Lupu 528 until the SSQ became out of date and couldn't get in anywhere anymore so I switched to Xenial 7.5.
Not ideal, crashes a lot if the ram gets a little full, remembers little but after a few times, it works and I'm happy. :unsure: Ubuntu's a cow.
Came to Linux way back at Puppy Linux 410/411. Will's Puppy 422 was the utmost until I suspect Seamonkey got sick.
Mozilla based browsers are my only, now. Cool.
I use Pale Moon, Mozilla browser right now and it's been pretty fair.

I have had NO issues what so ever with the change-over to the new format here at the Stak! Works a treat!
Thank you Harry for including the Mozilla browser users, no matter what their format! :)

Silly phones want to post pics a quarter-turn off. A problem everywhere.
I use mtPaint to turn my pics and then scale to size before I post...

Last edited:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I’m about to! I have had it to here with Winblows. The constant little irritating things not doing what they should or doing something they shouldn’t. The random turning on all by itself, sometimes turning off later, sometimes staying on indefinitely and disabling the power button. FU Win Ten!

I am fairly computer illiterate. I like a minimum of electronics, and none at all where relays and the like will do. But I actually have TWO computer guru friends. They’ve been doing it since the days of their BBSs in the ‘80’s and they’ve been making a living at it pretty much ever since.

So under the direction of one of them I have obtained a 480 GB SSD, and will be installing Ubuntu 18 IIRC. I have downloaded it, just need to set it up on a bootable thumb drive.

Wish me luck!

But if it’s a disaster, I can just swap in my old drive and go back to hating my computer lol.

Keith

georgineer

Registered
I'd been using Puppy Linux Lupu 528 until the SSQ became out of date and couldn't get in anywhere anymore so I switched to Xenial 7.5.
Not ideal, crashes a lot if the ram gets a little full, remembers little but after a few times, it works and I'm happy. :unsure: Ubuntu's a cow.
Came to Linux way back at Puppy Linux 410/411. Will's Puppy 422 was the utmost until I suspect Seamonkey got sick...
ummm... Could this be why more people don't use Linux? I recognised a couple of words in your post, and I use Mozilla Firefox, but a lot of people won't want to join the gang because they don't speak the argot. I'm actually interested in exploring Linux for CNC, but I need an easier way in than this. Any suggestions?

George B.

Venge

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/18/2018
Go poke around on https://distrowatch.com/

Each distribution or “flavor” has its pros and cons. I’ve not setup a drm or cnc but for normal computer I love a few of them. There are still software issues with some things since Linux isn’t always supported. Those can be run in a VM or “virtual machine “ using a windows install. Several can be run at the same infact.

There is a learning curve for some stuff but it gets pretty easy and most of the communities have many helpful people to get you up and going.

rodneyt

Registered
when Linux got gui'd, it became useable to ordinary folk, so ive been using it for last 10 years.
it was never free for me, woeful internet meant downloading was not an option, so it was got thru cd on various Linux magazines from newsagent,
internet has recently got much better, but whenever the bank says my encryption software is out of date then i am obliged to buy a few more magazines and try out the various Linux on them until i find one that works on my vintage hardware. same deal whenever a computer dies, or cannot install latest software, get a slightly less old hulk and chase up a Linux to make it work again. if they happen to have a working win on them, i use an install option that only shrinks that part of hard drive and makes a new partition to put Linux on, then i have a dual boot computer. this was good for using ms software to work in ms files, but now the freeware packed with most Linux is good enough to not need ms for much.
the main reason for going Linux was actually not ms problems directly, but indirectly thru need to almost daily update antivirus software, which gives good idea of how borderline its effectiveness is. with Linux i only make sure there is a firewall turned on, and have had no problems. of course nothing is ever completely safe, so all important work, photos, downloads regularly get put on separate thumb drives, now portable hdd, etc in case somehow the pc does get hacked. i notice my Linux does now want to do an update every few days, usually only a few small files, it is simple to just click the ok button and let it do its thing.
for pc use, i do recommend use only what are called LTS versions, 'long term support' otherwise you get the same constant upgrade changes as is painfull for new ms stuff.

If at first you dont succeed, try again!
i have found that in spite of almost all Linux versions raving about how good they are, none work perfectly on every machine.
having a successful install is a good sign, sometimes it fails.
then you need to try out all the software you intend to use, make sure you can use all your printers, common for some to not work on one Linux, but will work fine on another.
i have had good success with various Linux on some machines as recommended by friends, but these same versions have not worked properly on other machines, so don't give up after one failure, it usually takes a maximum of only 3 installs to find one that does work.

yes the different versions do have different 'desktop' to get used to, but eventually you will quite at home with whatever works.
some have choices of desktop so you can choose an interface that suits yourself, but im too lazy to do that, i just use whatever the install recommends, it has been interesting seeing the different ways menus can operate / be shown. to me my actual work is more important than fiddling with different options of how a computer might work. the one thing i do like is a few favorite pictures for a wallpaper / background / screensaver.

I still get to use ms occasionally at work, but at home i couldnt live without Linux.
the main rule at home is never ever let any computer on the internet if it is using Windows.
i tried one out once with no antivirus software, just to see how important all antivirus stuff really is, it lasted almost 3 hours then failed.
a Linux cd boot and hard drive format soon fixed it.

re cnc, for any speciallised use of Linux, you must get recommendations from people who have actually used it, and also to get some hands on experience too will help to see if it will do what you want it for.
I can totally recommend Linux as being good when it works, and while I have been able to crash and/or freeze it sometimes on machines with not much memory, mostly i am amazed at how much more stable it is than ms which i would need to reboot regularly in my far distant past.

good luck , best wishes etc Rod.

Last edited:

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
I am on a Android tablet that's Linux based, have a Chromebook that's Linux based and dual boot with Windoze 7 and Linux mint, No problems with any of them.

Only reason I have Microshaft Windoze 7 is for a website that I take care of with outdated FrontPage.
Linux will open PDF files, Word docs etc. out of the box where with Microshaft you have to subscribe or download a bunch of garbage you can't find anymore.

Windoze 10:rant: lasted me 4 days before I ousted it due to constant 4 or 5 gig updates that you couldn't even turn off.

Last edited:

steve mallette

Registered
For starters you might try Ubuntu LTD it will update for 4 years . You can double boot it with "microshaft" and keep your stuff. It also has"WINE" which will run most Windows programs... Try it you'll like it... YMMV.

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
For starters you might try Ubuntu LTD it will update for 4 years . You can double boot it with "microshaft" and keep your stuff. It also has"WINE" which will run most Windows programs... Try it you'll like it... YMMV.
I tried Wine and it still wouldn't run FrontPage. Hope I can pawn off that Dam Website then Windoze will be History. :clap:

Tim0477

Registered
Linux Mint 18.3 here. With a little playing around, it can be made to look and function like Windows XP. I have been using it for a little over a year. Seems stable enough and has not caused any undue grief. The only issue I have had was getting the trackpoint on my Lenovo Thinkpad to work. I have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 if I need it. The only thing I still have not completely figured out is how to install software. Most things can be found and installed automatically from the software manager without issue, but some others require the user to compile and run them. Windows was easier in that regard where you just clicked the .exe file and it did the rest. One advantage to running a less popular operating system is that the hackers are less motivated to create malware and other bugs to run on it simply due to the fact that few people use it.

Tim

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Threads like this make me glad that we have a Computer, Camera and ISP Problems forum! I'm running my old Windows 7 beast of a workstation and it holds 4TB and has lots of RAM. I have a newer system with Windows 10 that either looks like a gamers or a highschooler's machine depending upon how you look at it. I did get my old copy of Photoshop 5.5 to run on it. I ran some of the Tricks to Tame it, but there's more to do.

I am a definite candidate for Linux because that's what I run on the Smokstak server, but the how and what on my Windows 7 & 10 Dell systems leave me empty so I'll keep on reading.

Last edited:

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Well blow me down. Never expected this kind of response!
Went looking on the web for a timeline and find I've been Linux since about 2008! Thank you Barry Kauler.
Will's Puppy, Deep Thought 4.20 was a dream when I updated from 4.11 or 4.12 and they worked good! Light as a feather!
Last good ms machine I had here was running a "certain" version of XP. Worked OK but wanted something different.
I've been down in Terminal a little in the past but the GUI's (Graphic User Interface-a window) got me too. Click and go.
Won't go back. Learning still about programs that bleed into the ram, fill it up and then I have a problem child.
Abiword is a naughty boy. If I leave something typed for the Stak and open overnight, it'll bleed out and freeze the machine up. Including my ever running music. Brrpp, brrpp, brrpp, brrpp.
I figured this server was Linux. Many, many are!
Hahaha! I'm STILL a CD start-up kind of guy! I have the computer look at the CD before the hard drives and the entire operating system is on the CD. We can choose to have a save partition created to start quicker next time but I still start thru the CD.
:)
That's something I could elaborate on. For newbies, a person could download an operating system thru windoes, burn it on a CD, train the computer to look at the CD first and the next time the machine will start the Linux os and not touch windows. Next time you can start windows normally if you wish just remove the CD (or flash drive if your machine'll do it for you).
Do a defragment on your windows machine first so those files are laid together instead of scattered! I have to find a way to defrag this drive as I don't know if windows will start again on this vista amchine.
For 90% of the things I want on a computer, I can use Linux to see pics, files or save files IF it's a dying or dead windows machine.
:unsure: I have touched a 7 machine, didn't like it but never a 10 so far!
Heck! I still miss 3.1! My brother has a Titanium framed lap-top that still uses 98! With a thousand patches....
:)

nblack

Registered
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! I have been running Ubuntu Linux for 7 (or so) years. Got fed up with Windoze and all the stupid updates. Friend introduced me to Ubuntu, I tried it, and I have never fully looked back. Only use Win7 when I need to annotate an Adobe .pdf and send it to others. So for that exercise, I made my laptop dual-bootable. Not problems. Definitely recommend the LTS distros. Still running 12.04 in the basement as I type. Running 14.04 now on the laptop, and thinking of upgrading to either 16 or 18. Overall, very pleased.

AlanR

Registered
Started experimenting with Linux back in the Mandrake days. Right now, every computer XP generation or older is running some variety of Linux exclusively (except for my son's college laptop with Win 95), The more modern computers dual boot Win 10 and one variety or another of Linux Mint - except for one laptop that I haven't gotten around to yet. Easier to let someone else figure out the intricacies of UEFI on a particular machine ;).

Alan

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
I am thinking hard about it. This Win7 computer never does anything anymore that could not be done with Linux. I have a spare SSD I could format for Linux. Somebody tell me how to get started. I need to keep my documents but that is about all. My emails are on Thunderbird.

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
<--------- Manjaro (based on Arch Linux) at the moment.. Linux Mint was good for awhile after Ubuntu went all wonky. First one I used was Mandtrake 20-some years ago.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I switched from Winblows Ten to Ubuntu 18 a couple of weeks ago, along with switching out a 250 GB HDD to a 480 GB SSD. OMG. It is unbelievably fast now.

WinBlows took about six months to come on from “sleep”, twelve months from a complete shutdown. I exaggerate for effect, but you wouldn’t want to sit there and wait for it. Get it started and go do something else. Especially if music had been playing! Going to sleep took around three months.

Now, I can have music playing, push that sleep button, and the machine is off literally in TWO SECONDS. Push the button to bring it back to running, and in ONE SECOND the music is playing and the log in screen is up. Unbelievable.

WinBlows was FULL of bugs. All manner of stuff was flaky or flat out didn’t work, or was INCREDIBLY SLOW. None of that now. FU Win Ten!

I haven’t gotten Adobe Flash to work yet.

I have an external drive unit that I can plug my old HDD into and access my old files over USB.

Keith

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I'm running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on my "daily driver". I settled on the Mate desktop with it's drop down menus as something I am happy with. Unfortunately even the Mate developers want change so when I installed 18.04 I had to use Mate Tweak to change the panels back to "traditional" that I'm comfortable with. With Windows 10 being a spying, tracking, and ad serving machine, and Apple having a very steeply walled garden, Linux is the only OS left where you can be fully in control of your own computer. I guess I'm old fashioned, a dinasaur, to believe that I own the machine and should control it.

I also have several Windows computers around the house, XP, W7, and W10, mostly disconnected from the internet doing dedicated tasks. Some things, unfortunately, still need Windows. For example the Onan database needs Microsoft Access to run. Other programs like Photoshop and Techstream diagnostics for my car need Windows, and trying to emulate them in Wine under Linux is just too much trouble. Doing a dual boot is again too much trouble to fix when something goes wrong.

I hate the Windows 10 interface, something I consider "computer for dummies" or "the perfect desktop for social media users". All the controls I used to use like control panel, administrative tools, task manager, and services are still there, just hidden away from view. And then there is all the spying and tracking that needs to be disabled. Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare. I don't have or want a Microsoft account so I set the machine up with a local account only, then went through and turned off as much of the telemetry as I could. It seems to be pretty snappy, faster startup than W7 on the same machine, from pressing the power button (computer shut down) to logon screen takes about 14 seconds.

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I am thinking hard about it. This Win7 computer never does anything anymore that could not be done with Linux. I have a spare SSD I could format for Linux. Somebody tell me how to get started. I need to keep my documents but that is about all. My emails are on Thunderbird.
A short tutorial on installing Ubuntu MATE:

Download the programs you need:

Download Ubuntu MATE as an ISO image
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

Select "ubuntu-mate-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso"

Download RUFUS a program to write the ISO image to a flash drive:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufus.mirror/

Put both in a folder where you can find them

Create a bootable flash drive:

Start RUFUS

Device: should show your flash drive
Boot Selection: Disk or ISO image (please select)
SELECT: click on select (not down arrow after select)
Maneuver to your Ubuntu image file, click open

Boot selection will now read: ubuntu-mate-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso

Partition scheme: MBR
Target System: BIOS or UEFI

Format Options (these should be defaults)
Volume label: Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.4 LTS amd64
File system: leave as default
Cluster Size: leave as default
Click on start
If it wants to download syslinux, click OK
Leave as default "Write in ISO Mode"
It will warn you that anything on the flash drive will be erased, click OK
Let it finish writing to the flash drive, Status will say "Ready" when finished, then close Rufus.

You now have a bootable flash drive with Ubuntu MATE installed

Prepare your computer to install Ubuntu:

Disconnect your Windows hard drive, and connect your new SSD
Place the bootable flash drive in a USB slot
Make sure your computer is connected to the internet with a ethernet cable as drivers are installed during the installation.
Power on your computer, and enter the BIOS setup by pressing del, F12, F8, or what is needed for your computer to enter BIOS setup.
Set the boot order to:
1) Bootable USB
2) CD or DVD
3) Hard Drive
save and exit BIOS

Alternatively, some computers allow you to press a key to select the boot device.
You can do this instead of changing the boot order. Select the bootable flash drive you made.

Ubuntu should boot from the flash drive. Let it start until you can see "try Ubuntu" or "install Ubuntu".
Select install Ubuntu

Leave the keyboard selections as default

Select these three options when prompted in the next screen:
Normal Installation
Download updates when installing
install third party software
click continue

Select these options when the screen appears:
Erase disk and install Ubuntu
Use LVM

There is one other option here you may or may not want to use:
Encrypt the new Ubuntu installation

This encrypts the entire disk except the boot loader. If you use it you need to enter a long pass PHRASE of 32 characters or so. This pass PHRASE
is case sensitive, so write it down. Every time you start the computer you will need to enter this pass PHRASE to unlock the disk.
If you forget this phrase, there is NO way into the computer. There is NO back door! There is NO way to recover your data.
You CANNOT put the disk in another computer and read it. Forensics software will NOT unlock it.
This is very useful for laptops in case someone steals it, they get the laptop but not the data. If the police were to seize your laptop they will
NOT be able to read it without the pass PHRASE. It's that good, but just remember, if you lose the pass PHRASE you lost all your data.
For people just starting out it would be better not to use this option until you have more experience.

Click install now.

It will ask for:
Your Name
User Name
Password (password is case sensitive)

Make your choices and let it install.

When it reboots after installation remove the flash drive and let it boot from the SSD.

Sign in with your password.

To get back to the simple desktop I like, click on:
Menu -- Preferences-- slide green bar on right down until you see MATE Tweak
Click Panel
Select Traditional
Let it change the desktop and close.

Now install Synaptic Package Manager to enable you to easily find new software. I can't believe this is not installed by default.

Click:
Applications -- System Tools -- MATE terminal
A terminal window opens, you will upgrade the system. It would do this eventually by itself, but you should do it now.
Enter your password when prompted.
Type the following, hit the return key after each phrase, case sensitive:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
The system will install the latest updates. You will not need to do this again. The system will install security updates in the backgroubd and ask for all other updates.

Install Synaptic package manager:
type the following:
sudo apt-get install synaptic
allow it to install, then close the terminal window.

Now if you want to add or remove software go to:
System -- Administration -- Synaptic Package Manager.

To shutdown the computer click on the gear icon near the upper right hand corner.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
That is a wonderful write up. I will use it as soon as I get up the nerve to try.

I think the only question I have is once I have this up and running, how do I connect to my old Win7 drive to copy the data. Will Linux see the file format it it is just plugged into the MB or is more required?