• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Why the Big Boy 4014 is Such a Badass Train

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
This is such a cool accomplishment, that I too never thought I would see. Hope to see it in person some day. Maybe I'll still be in this wretched state of Ca when it comes here, so I can watch it climb the Cajon Pass. :D

BTW, they've not quite got the title of their article right- A "Train" consists of a Locomotive and Car(s) connected together and on a main track. :brows:

Keith

Railroads

Registered
BTW, they've not quite got the title of their article right- A "Train" consists of a Locomotive and Car(s) connected together and on a main track.

Keith, I have long given up on that argument. Most everyday folk wouldn't know the difference and don't seem to care.

Robert

Railroads

Registered
Ya know, I've seen a lot of old video of BB and it would seem piston packing was a weak spot on these engines. Lots of blow by in some of those old videos. Everything has a weak point doesn't it?

Robert

Last edited:

Railroads

Registered
Kinda bitter sweet Caser. 4014 comes at the expense of 3985. DDA40X 6936 and the UP E9 trio. I hope UP retains 3985. Some talk of it going to a museum. Still others speculate she will be scrapped. I believe the latter is bogus rumor mill crap.

Robert

Ret AF

Registered
I stood next to a BigBoy at the Sacramento Railway Museum - never thought I'd see one running again. Hats off to all who took part in the restoration - what a beautiful locomotive! Hope to see it in person someday soon.

Ret AF

Registered
Thanks for the info - I hope my Grandchildren in Tucson can see it. I sent them the schedule, thanks for posting it.