Wico question on IHC L

David Gregg

Subscriber
OK went to get my IHC L out on saturday and it won't start, no spark. It has a Wico EK mag on it. So I take the flywheel off so I can get to the mag. Take off the cover and clean the contacts, still no spark. Figure it is the condensor, since the one I find in there appears to be out of a Brigs or similar with a second lead soldered on. I did have a spare condensor and put it in and still no spark.
I then get my tester out. Have continuity on the primary circuit. Do you measure continuity on the secondary from the contact point on the side of each coil? If so I have no continuity. Looks to me like I need new coils.

David

Don C. Wiley

In Memory Of
David;

There is a connection "between" the two coils that could be causing a no continuity reading if measured from the contact points on the outside of both coils. I wouldn't think it would just quit sitting there doing nothing. Those EK's are very fickle. Make sure the armature is pulling off straight down and not pulling one arm off before the other. To work properly both arms need to pull off at the same time. Now! Make sure the surfaces of the armature are nice and clean, no rust either. Depending on the style of trip on your engine, the armature should pull open quick. The spring combination that trips it is criticle. One loads it and the other "snaps" it open. If you have the wrong combination of springs you could have problems there.

Good luck.

"DELCO DON" :p;):) Southern Illinois :wave:

David Gregg

Subscriber
Don, thanks for the reply.
I havn't run it for about 3 years. Check the end of the armatures for rust and cleaned them off. No springs on this drive. Has just a fork the operates it. If there are springs they are internal and I've never opened up the crankcase. The fork operates off of the cam gear and comes thru an eccentric which you can rotate to retard the spark to start.
Havn't change anything, just not run it for a few years.

David